Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are running good quality speakers without a amp bad ?

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Keep the volume down and you'll probably be fine. However you *really* want an amp. I upgraded the system in my car last week...new HU and front speakers. (Pioneer components) Running off the HU, the speakers worked fine, though if I turned the volume up too far I'd experience clipping/distortion (BAD BAD BAD). I put in an amp shortly after, and they're now like completely different speakers. Much, much, much better. It'll cost you more money, and it'll be more hassle (if doing the install yourself), but if you're spending money on decent speakers...its definitely worth it.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The stock ones out of mine are 4 ohm.
Really? Sorry, I was regurgitating what I'd heard from a knowledgeable installer. I guess he isn't all that knowledgeable :banstick:

The rest of my post is correct though :)

Last edited:

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Get real speakers not Alpine garbage for a start. Amp is always the best way.

Don't bother, it's a friggen epidemic. If they want to sheep with everyone else that owns the crap then let them.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
IDC about your hate of MEA/MEA members, I rarely even go on it and when I do I just look at the classifieds.

I don't really understand the categorization, are you trying to say that anyone who chooses to not buy Alpine/Pioneer/Fusion/etc. are MEA members?

I wouldn't, I would call them well researched, well educated. They have obviously done some research to find the other brands, as they are not readily available at Autobahnz. Who gives a crap where they found the information/recommendations for the brands, at least they are willing to try something out of the norm, to take a risk and go against the uneducated crowd. I would much rather take advice from people who understand the acoustics of a car, the components of a quality install, as opposed to yobbos that doesn't even know what a crossover is.

In undeadened, unsealed doors in the same car (VY commodore), my Morel Tempos sounded better than my mates Type R splits, he agreed. Compared to other options in the same price range, they are below average (my definition of crap).

BOTTOM LINE: People buy the mainstream brands because they are readily available and because they don't know any differently.

The epidemic continues. Let them be.

Maxmadmat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina Wagon 3.8 & VS Sedan Manual 3.8
BOTTOM LINE: People buy the mainstream brands because they are readily available and because they don't know any differently.
Totally with you there Magoo. Do the research people.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Really? Sorry, I was regurgitating what I'd heard from a knowledgeable installer. I guess he isn't all that knowledgeable :banstick:

The rest of my post is correct though :)

ive removed 2ohm speakers from ve commodores before, so he is right to some degree. there may have been a change in years/models.

The 10th Doctor

ambitious but rubbish
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE SS-V

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
IDC about your hate of MEA/MEA members, I rarely even go on it and when I do I just look at the classifieds.

I don't really understand the categorization, are you trying to say that anyone who chooses to not buy Alpine/Pioneer/Fusion/etc. are MEA members?

I wouldn't, I would call them well researched, well educated. They have obviously done some research to find the other brands, as they are not readily available at Autobahnz. Who gives a crap where they found the information/recommendations for the brands, at least they are willing to try something out of the norm, to take a risk and go against the uneducated crowd. I would much rather take advice from people who understand the acoustics of a car, the components of a quality install, as opposed to yobbos that doesn't even know what a crossover is.

In undeadened, unsealed doors in the same car (VY commodore), my Morel Tempos sounded better than my mates Type R splits, he agreed. Compared to other options in the same price range, they are below average (my definition of crap).

The epidemic continues. Let them be.
I don't have hate for MEA members (I've been one for 11 years), I'm just sick of seeing the same "exotic" brands being spammed all the time and other decent brands being regarded as garbage because they're mainstream.

I was really just overreacting like you did about Alpine. I thought my wink emoticon would have given away that I was being light-hearted. They're not crap, simple as that :thumbsup:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
You guys are missing the point. It's all about value for money, but I agree with MAG00.

Honestly Alpine put more money into their ads than their products.