Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are series 1 & 2 engines interchangeable?

T

Tadeusz

Hi,

I've got a VN series 1 v6 in a Hilux. The engines about to die, so I was wondering if I can put a series 2 VP motor in without changing any of the wiring & computer.

I know I'll have to change the radiator hoses, but will everything else bolt straight up.

Thanks,
Scott

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
It should be fine Scott in the wiring dept. Maybe a slightly longer coolant temp sensor wire if anything. Can't think of much more off the top of my head. All minor thou.

Computer wise they're the same with the exception of the memcal.The series II had a revised memcal to suit the subdued cam profile and some other minor running changes.

Your old comp/ecu will run the SII but I'd grab a SII memcal and slot it in just to lower the NVH (Noise Volume Harshness) and better match the cam. This and relocating the bitch of a rear hose were the only reasons Holden made the update.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
good luck champ

yes, wiring looms for engine are the same, you will have o2 sensor issues, vns2 uses a 2 wire one, vns1 uses a 1 wire one, that is the only problem, the vn s1 looms for inside, arent the same, you wont make them work, pretty sad, but engine loom's yeah, they are the same

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure Garth? Can't you just retain the series 1 headers and o2?

I had a SII ECU in my old S1 for about 2 months and it run the vehicle fine through the S1 loom. On top of that allmost every S1 I've seen that's had an exhange motor fitted got the SII.

I'm not saying your wrong just interested.

T

Tadeusz

Flywheel & starter

Thanks for the info,

I've got the S1 motor out now so I just need to find someone open so I can get an exchange motor.

One more issue. I'm using a manual gearbox. Will my S1 flywheel fit onto a S2 motor, or do I need a S2 flywheel? If my S1 flywheel works, can I put it on a motor setup for an auto, or is there more to it than just adding a flywheel?

Also, will my S1 starter motor work with the S2 motor?

Thanks,
Scott