Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are the (MSE/Director) & Magnum the best factory standard performance sedans/utes ever made?

Onlt vote if you've driven an LE and at least a few other marques

• The e39 M5 is still the benchmark

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I was thinking of Monstar when I posted and wondering how long till he would pitch in. (4.5 hours)

I too found it interesting that GM, in maintaining a V8 option, decided upon the path of reducing cubic capacity by 30% and bolting on 2 hairdryers to gain 50% more power per litre of comparative displacement.

Judging by the somewhat extreme measures Holden used to lighten my Magnum so they could get it within fuel/mileage/emission requirements (detuned, alloy bonnet & brake caliper covers, stripped and discarded spare, jack, horn & loom, windscreen washer bottle smaller than my bladder) I believe the LS3 has reached the achievable ceiling for the old Chevy small block and has no more headroom for when those regulations tighten further in the future.

So they are going the way of the European performance marques, with smaller bores and higher revs. The result will probably sound closer to a Formula 1 V10 than a 350CI V8. Likely won't be as long-lasting either and two turbos will be twice as expensive to maintain/repair but, as such, seems to continue the trend of the "throw-away society" we now live in.
Again, I don’t think the specific output was a KPI when reviewing the combustion design to meet emissions.
Rather more likely is nominal engine capacity vs vehicle weight: I recently reviewed the cost of a Gen V with 8 speed as a factory Connect and Cruise upgrade option, thing is 6.2 supercharged is ridiculously expensive at AUD$38,950 shipped duty paid plus $10k install and difficult to exempt from certification. Whereas the 5.3 Connect and Cruise with twin scroll turbocharging meets emissions, makes 30% more power, and costs $17k less. Yeah, new legal GM V8 8 speed for around $26k plus $7k twin scroll install.
Easier 5.3 turbo than 6.2 supercharged because our National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (VSB 14) relies (somewhat erroneously) on engine capacity and vehicle weight, such that my car weighs 1.87t x 3 = 5.6 litres max capacity before boost. Worth noting 2017 SS-V Redline sedan weighs in 130kg lighter, too light to qualify for this setup, possibly SSVR wagon.
On a few fronts is much more difficult to make the case for the 6.2 with regard to legal exemption.
From a regulatory perspective what’s more important (than specific output) is gross output, so of course the 5.3’s tune for approval must not produce more than 324 kW :rolleyes:.
In other words stating a car’s specific output has nothing to do with (usually opposite to) the gross, thermal efficiency, fuel consumption, responsiveness / torque delivery etc., so when I see it without qualification is likely a marketeer’s sleight of hand to disguise a switch in boost, compression and / or fuel.

Last edited: