Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are there any drawback with a tune

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The usual first power mod is CAI and exhaust and dyno tune.

The benefits are evident.

For those with tuning knowledge, what exactly in addition to fuel maps etc is also changed.

If the tune is done well by reputable tuner are there any negatives with dyno tune ?

Any components that would suffer as a result of a dyno tune ?

VYCommodore76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commy
Pros: everything
cons: paying over $2.08 per liter for 98ron, well that's what I paid the other day. Most I've ever paid per liter.
A tune mostly advances the timing over stock to take advantage of higher grade fuel.

H

harrop.senator

If it's auto depending how they tune it and the torque management can reduce the life span. Apart from that no , I've always had better fuel , performance and cold starts if done right.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If it's auto depending how they tune it and the torque management can reduce the life span. Apart from that no , I've always had better fuel , performance and cold starts if done right.

What is torque management about ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just make sure they don't go for bragging rights at the pub on a Friday night type tune, like mine has. Although this may not be an issue unless it's cammed as well, where they push the power band out to max hp where it's of no use on the street.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Just make sure they don't go for bragging rights at the pub on a Friday night type tune, like mine has. Although this may not be an issue unless it's cammed as well, where they push the power band out to max hp where it's of no use on the street.

Mine only has OTR CAI and tune. Done by Sonny at Autowerks.

Just curious if there is driveline price to pay for extra power and torque.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211105-151218_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211105-151218_Gallery.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 206

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just curious if there is driveline price to pay for extra power and torque.
Zero price to pay with respect to driveline if you drive your car sensibly on public roads. As long as you don’t accelerate at WOT at every set of lights and stay within the speed limit, you won’t get near maximum torque levels pushing through the driveline… = long life but boring :p

Put another way, even a race cars driven without mechanical sympathy will spend a lot of time getting things fixed :p

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
They can often turn off or hide faults and codes from appearing and causing issues.
Like O2 sensor faults due to cats.
Or turn off the Maf Sensor (changing to Map) and tune out or turn down other sensors, But each tuner may do different hings.

I found my SS is a bit nicer on fuel on the highways but also a bit worse around town driving since a tune.
All stock except a full exhaust, so no accompanying mods that many end up doing before a tune (it was mainly to turn off o2 code faults from cats)
So thats also something to consider depending on how they tune it