Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Car Salesman...

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
The way I would do it if the salesman won't haggle to your terms,walk out and go to another car yard.There are plenty of them around and it isn't the end of the world.It would be his loss.

make sure you leave your phone number with them so they can ring you with another offer.

act interested and string them along for a few days and then tell them about the deal you got from their opposition.

really seems to give them the s....

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
...meh nevermind!

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
make sure you leave your phone number with them so they can ring you with another offer.

act interested and string them along for a few days and then tell them about the deal you got from their opposition.

really seems to give them the s....

personally it doesn't me. See, we have to deal with a lot of people who are just kicking tires around the place and really have no interest in purchasing a car.

When somebody starts doing that I know full well they are either lying or tetlling the truth...but what it REALLY tells me that they are a buyer and not just stroking me along.

So, go ahead and string them along and tell them about the better price that you got elsewhere. Perhaps they really can do a better deal. If I can't get a better price for you then I'm going to tell you that you have been offered a very good deal and that I hope you enjoy your new vehicle because that does seem like a real bargain. If I could beat it, I would. But I can't so I gonna tell you that!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
define many....at the moment I'm one of the top salesman at my dealership. I sell on average 27cars per month and have a factory survey rating of 95-100% satisfaction from my customers.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Update on my van purchase:
Before signing up dealer told me he had a van in Perth, went through the negotiation with two dealers for the best deal, original Dealer I contacted matched the other Dealer's price so I signed up with him.
Delivery date was to be the 15/01/07 subject to finance. Advised the Dealer that finance was approved 08/01/07. Dealer stated the van was booked in to have the window tinting fitted on the 12/01/07 in the morning and it would be ready that afternoon.
I called on the 12/01/07 to check if the delivery was still OK. This is where the fun started. The Dealer was away on a course so could not be contacted.
The receptionist told me there had been a delay in the boat arriving. "Boat, but the van was in Perth, what boat" I asked. Oh, she says, so it was. I'll get the Dealer to call on Monday.
Monday 15/01/07, no call. I called, again the dealer was not there so I spoke to another salesman who, after checking, advised that the van was having the Aussie spec stereo fitted and would be ready for transport in 2.5 hours and would require a pre delivery check and clean so would not arrive until the following day.
16/01/07 no call so I called after lunch and spoke to the Sales Manager who told me that Suzuki do not complete orders until the finance is approved so it was my fault for the delay as I was only advising of the approval today.
I made him contact the original Dealer to confirm this was given on the 08/01/07. Once confirmed the Sales Manager told me the van was going through customs and would be delivered on the 19/01/07.
When I said it needs to be as my wife needs to start work on the 22/01/07 he replied that it was out of his control and up to Customs but it would be ready.
I called on the morning of the 19/01/07 and spoke to the original Dealer who advised that due to a miscommunication our van had not yet been to Customs as the guy who delivers all new cars to Dealerships, Customs and workshops had been on holiday for two weeks and forgot to include our van's details and hence the van in the first, second or third deliveries made in the last week. Was advised it would be delivered now on the 22/01/07.
I said it was not good enough, in the end he took $500 off the deal to sweeten it a bit.
22 - 23 & 24/01/07 No call so I called each day. Dealer stated that Customs had not released the van and there was nothing he could do to speed it up.
Yesterday I asked him to check anyway and he said he would and call back.
He called back and spoke to my wife and said unfortunately it would not be delivered until mid next week.
So I called another Dealer and confirmed that they had a van that could be picked up today if needed. I then called Suzuki Australia and got them to fax the details of our van's arrival in Australia. Guess what, it arrived in Australia on the 12/01/07.
So I called the Dealer and said the deal was off. He immediately said if I reneged on the deal I would be liable for the full purchase price as it was a legally binding contract. I told him that the Dealer's obligation was to meet the conditions of the contract or it would be deemed null and void. He agreed.
I then reminded him that as per the contract under special conditons I had made him put the delivery date as the 15/01/07 therefore he did not meet his obligations. He waffled something about goodwill and said he would have his lawyer call me.
His lawyer called and was just very aggresive right from the start telling me what I was liable for and how much it would cost in legal fees blah blah blah.
When he finished I asked what version of events he had been told and he repeated all as above other than the story about the radio. I asked him if he was sure it was correct. He said of course I am, I have a signed statement here with me. I asked for his fax number and told him I would fax a copy of the info from Suzuki and also a copy of the legal requirements regarding Motor vehicle contracts so he could confirm the contract was in fact voided by the Dealer and asked if he knew the meaning of misrepresentation in rgard to contracts?. He hung up in disgust.
I kid you not the Dealer called within five minutes to tell me he had my van coming down on the 25/01/07 today by 5.00pm. He actually told me the Lawyer called him and told him he needed to get the van to me ASAP.

Last bit I promise. We had just left home (4.20pm) to get there by five and he called back. As it is a long weekend the truck with our van was delayed in traffic and would not arrive until 5.30pm. By that time all the workshop staff should have left and the guy who agreed to stay back to help had to leave at 5.00pm.
I nearly laughed as he was stressing so much his voice was failing. Yes I felt bad afterward.
Yay this is the end: The Dealer himself and two guys from the workshop are working tomorrow (double time for the two guys) to have the van ready at 8:30am Saturday. They are not allowed to deliver the car tomorrow being a public holiday. The best part is the price is now $17000 as an offer on their part to make up for lost income this week. No window tint though which doesn't matter as we can get it done at a good price anyway.

So there it is, buying a new car is so simple.

Edit: I should have mentioned that my brother is a Lawyer and provided his assistance.

Last edited:

camlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS COMMODORE LS1
car sales men?

Depending on what company you work for there will be alot of "down time!"
with nothing to do. It'll all depend on what kind of person you really are hey.
if you dont mind trying to look busy when ur actually bored out of your mind then give it a go.
It can be very rewarding if your in the right atmosphere but you will find that 99% of the people you will be working with will will ride you, take you for granted, use you, **** you around, walk all over you, disrespect you, and cheat you. PLUS your wages will be **** for the first 3 months. you will also be on a 6 MONTH PROBATION now as there is some **** new law that have just brought in!
i personally can't recommend it and i have been in it for over a year but it pay's the bills. (sometimes) mazda would be the best dealership to get into as they average 60 cars a month not including fleet.

adam

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
if you dont mind trying to look busy when ur actually bored out of your mind then give it a go.
It can be very rewarding if your in the right atmosphere but you will find that 99% of the people you will be working with will will ride you, take you for granted, use you, **** you around, walk all over you, disrespect you, and cheat you. PLUS your wages will be **** for the first 3 months. you will also be on a 6 MONTH PROBATION now as there is some **** new law that have just brought in!
i personally can't recommend it and i have been in it for over a year but it pay's the bills. (sometimes) mazda would be the best dealership to get into as they average 60 cars a month not including fleet.

adam

your in the wrong business

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Pretender:

A friend bought a brand new Suzuki small 4 wheel drive (Jiminy I think) about a year ago. She finally got delivery of it 6 weeks after the initial promised delivery date. Like you she waited for calls that never came, rang them many times and got told various reasons why delivery wasn't forthcoming.

C.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride

adam

Adam, you seriously need to get out of the business.

You shouldn't have down time. When I'm not in front of a customer I'm figuring out how to get in front of another customer. I can't make money if I don't have a customer.

OF course the other salespeople will walk all over you and disrespect you. THEY WANT YOU TO QUIT SO THEY HAVE MORE CUSTOMERS. You need to walk all over them, show them whos boss, get out and take that up right NOW. If you can't do that then go sell mobile phones. The best dealership to get into is the one you feel most comfortable at. I started at Nissan dealership in a big city. I wasn't keen on the product and I only sold about 10-15 a month. I'm now in a Subaru dealership which is a product I love and I'm working a smaller town now and average 15-20 units a month. Plus I make unit bonuses and consistency bonuses.

After my probation period ended my base salary actually went DOWN by over half. This was to inspire me to sell more cars. to make more money. I actually like the fact that I now get about $1,000 a month if I don't sell anything instead of the original $2200 for sitting on my arse. Thankfully since getting into business I have earnt less then $5000 in a month. I enjoy my job, you don't. Get out before you go insane.