Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
I just got pulled up by a police officer claiming I was "flying". She asked if I was in a hurry, I said no, asked if I had been drinking, I said no as I was designated driver, then she said "what, so you can kill everyone?". I find this highly offensive. I was sitting 2km/h UNDER the speed limit the entire way of my trip until that point I got pulled up. I'm doing a responsible act, being a designated driver and I get mocked and insulted. I insisted I was not speeding and she claimed she had a little more experience with traffic than me. This went on for a while but I gave up.

What can I do in this situation? It was at around 2am, I saw one other car on the road and I wasn't breaking any laws including exceeding the speed limit yet this officer insisted I was. She told me to stop arguing and just take the warning. I did, but I was not speeding nor did I admit to it. She also pointed out that she had to "fang it" (her words not mine) to catch up to me. Apart from the fact that she WAS speeding the otherway (at least 85 in a 60 zone - downhill), her indicator came on moments after coming into sight of me. At that point I was going around a corner, slowly. I think she more was just looking for excitement than anything.

I did not get the officers name, but I would like to lodge a complaint about her. Is it a wise idea not to? Will it just result in her friends trying to hassle me as well? I really want a non BS answer. I respect most police officers as most have been very pleasant and respectful but I've had encounters with 2 officers so far that utterly disgusts me. I think it is wrong for this officer to have it over me when she is clearly immature and unprofessional.

My rule that was taught to me once upon a time:

"If you're going to book 'em don't blast 'em. If you're going to blast 'em don't book 'em"

I'll be about as suttle as a brick here. You got fair treatment and walked away with nothing other than a talking to. I suggest that when you're spoken to by police you simply shut your mouth and pay the respect they deserve and DO NOT second guess especially when you're being offered the clear option of taking what you're being told on board and nothing else.

By your own admission, this isn't the first time indicating that perhaps the problem doesn't lie with them. I'm willing to bet that the other "unpleasant" experience you had might have been because you were believed to have done something wrong that time too.

ManualN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
My rule that was taught to me once upon a time:

"If you're going to book 'em don't blast 'em. If you're going to blast 'em don't book 'em"

I'll be about as suttle as a brick here. You got fair treatment and walked away with nothing other than a talking to. I suggest that when you're spoken to by police you simply shut your mouth and pay the respect they deserve and DO NOT second guess especially when you're being offered the clear option of taking what you're being told on board and nothing else.

By your own admission, this isn't the first time indicating that perhaps the problem doesn't lie with them. I'm willing to bet that the other "unpleasant" experience you had might have been because you were believed to have done something wrong that time too.

I really don't think it fair I get abused for doing nothing at all wrong. Just because I was not charged with anything, does not making what happened okay. I think it is far from a police officers job to insult a citizen who is 1. Not doing anything wrong and 2. Doing a responsible act more people should do. This all makes me feel like not driving.

So because something has happened to me twice, it must mean I deserve it? I'm sorry but this is just as disrespectful as what happened last night. I stick to the speed limit , I don't drink and drive, my tyres always have tread on them, my car is registered. I've never had an accident and I've been driving for 12 years.

I was not being offered a clear option, she was trying to get me to admit to doing something wrong, she only said I was getting a warning at the last moment when she told me to "just stop arguing and take the warning".

Simply put - I can not respect someone who acts like she did.

I came here looking for advice about lodging a complaint about an officer who verbally abused me and it gets suggested to me that I deserved it?

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
I really don't think it fair I get abused for doing nothing at all wrong. Just because I was not charged with anything, does not making what happened okay. I think it is far from a police officers job to insult a citizen who is 1. Not doing anything wrong and 2. Doing a responsible act more people should do. This all makes me feel like not driving.

So because something has happened to me twice, it must mean I deserve it? I'm sorry but this is just as disrespectful as what happened last night. I stick to the speed limit , I don't drink and drive, my tyres always have tread on them, my car is registered. I've never had an accident and I've been driving for 12 years.

I was not being offered a clear option, she was trying to get me to admit to doing something wrong, she only said I was getting a warning at the last moment when she told me to "just stop arguing and take the warning".

I came here looking for advice about lodging a complaint about an officer who verbally abused me and it gets suggested to me that I deserved it?

Concrete, mix with water, take twice daily :)

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.

I understand what ur trying too say. Like you, i have a great amount of respect for police officers and what they put up with, but it is only on a rare ocasion you will be pulled over by one that uses their influence over you, and heads off on a power trip.

or the greater part every police officer i have been confronted by has been very polite and considerate, sometimes even wishing me a happy birthday or christmas.

But only once i have been approached by arude officer. He walked over to a group of my friends and i parked in a carpark and before asking politely, he proceeded to tell me and my friends "f### off the lot of yah! get out of my site now!" now i understand what he was trying to achieve in moving us along but i believe the swearing was unnesccesary, when we all stood there looking at him in shock, he continued with "What dont you speak f###ing english, you heard me hurry up and move off!"

It's these one or two officers out of 100 or so that would make others feel different. i however got over it and moved on and still hold great respect for police and their work.

But to ManualN i understand your frustration. But a complaint may just gain you more unwanted and unneccessary attention than saying nothing would.

ManualN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Not many people seem to see my point. It's not a matter of being grateful for a warning and hardening up. I got a warning for doing nothing. What happens when the cop sees me again doing nothing again? Police officers CAN'T go around accusing people of acts they did not commit. I used to put a lot of faith in the police forces judgement and thought they had a lot of integrity but thats completely gone now. Every time i see something on the news I wont be able to help but ask "I wonder if that guy really did what they said or if they are just saying it". Just because it's a police officer doesn't mean they are telling the truth. They might think they are but occasionally they are wrong. I'm not a police officer hater but right now there are a couple just completely ****ing up the police force's image for me.

I could not have been doing less wrong that night and I got hassled and abused. It's far from fair treatment and it's a ****ing joke. I'm going to install a couple of cameras so I have proof in future but my points are still totally valid. I shouldn't have to do it.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Not many people seem to see my point. It's not a matter of being grateful for a warning and hardening up. I got a warning for doing nothing. What happens when the cop sees me again doing nothing again? Police officers CAN'T go around accusing people of acts they did not commit. I used to put a lot of faith in the police forces judgement and thought they had a lot of integrity but thats completely gone now. Every time i see something on the news I wont be able to help but ask "I wonder if that guy really did what they said or if they are just saying it". Just because it's a police officer doesn't mean they are telling the truth. They might think they are but occasionally they are wrong. I'm not a police officer hater but right now there are a couple just completely ****ing up the police force's image for me.

I could not have been doing less wrong that night and I got hassled and abused. It's far from fair treatment and it's a ****ing joke. I'm going to install a couple of cameras so I have proof in future but my points are still totally valid. I shouldn't have to do it.

The problem is, there are always 3 sides to a story, your side, her side, and the truth. We can only go on your word......
Power tripping cops is a fact of life, theres not much you can do about it.

ManualN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
The problem is, there are always 3 sides to a story, your side, her side, and the truth. We can only go on your word......
Power tripping cops is a fact of life, theres not much you can do about it.

I have no reason to jump on a forum and lie. Look at my post count. I only joined to post here. I going on about integrity and such. I'd be silly to lie.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I have no reason to jump on a forum and lie. Look at my post count. I only joined to post here. I going on about integrity and such. I'd be silly to lie.

Suggest you were lying, you wouldn't be the first, and you defo wont be the last, person to lie on the internet.....

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
my question 'vic cop'....

When will the police start pulling people over and fining people who ALWAYS hog the right lane????

i always stay in the left lane but when i need to overtake i do so, but its frustrating when people sit on 80 or 90km/h in the right lane and hold up the traffic..its just farkn annoyin...Its the law and i see more and more people braking it, yet i still dont see police taking action..