Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Mineworker..

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I worked as an underground hardrock mining engineer, mainly in ventilation, development roadway design and stope design, so I could ask some mongrel questions but I won't :coolpimp:

So yeah, anybody wants to know how its done, ask the guys in this thread.

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
ok, whats the recruitment process for a miner?

V

VS_chick

depends on what you want to do, but the best thing to do is go to a mining recruitment agency and sign up with them and they will help you out.

agencys like

mining people
workpack
extraman
skilled
mining personnel
im sure there are different once for each state but these are what can be found in WA plus alot of others

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I guess the mining industry is all Diesel, Hydraulics, Blood, Sweat, & Beer...

But I'd like to know is there much use for IT experts within the industry, programmers, etc ?

Rhino Racing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn/vp Speedway Street Sedan
Unfortunately, our IT guys and Gals all work in admin and therefore are staffies on permanent dayshift roster and get paid accordingly.(Quite low) Some work onsite, and some work in head office in Brissie.

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
Like Rhino said most of the IT people who are skilled in programming will not be on site. For Xstrata (previously Mount Isa Mines) we employ a contract with a computer company called CSC to maintain our networks and do the fiddly things.

Myself I am a Communications Tech but I work onsite maintaining the LAN, Phones, Radios, PED, Remotes, Cameras and just about anything else with a few Transistors inside. Because we are onsite we're almsot always dirty as hell by the time our 12hrs is up.

Xstrata employs some inhouse apprentices (electrical, diesel) but most of our apprentices are fed from the local apprenticeship agency M.I.G.A.T.E (Ph: 07 4743 9088) give them a call to see what's open at the moment.

Mount Isa has a fairly strong community base and many schools. There is a shortage on childcare centres, and the waiting list for the ones we have can be up to 2 years. The temperatures here vary throughout the year, going from hot to even hotter then peaking at ultra hot and wet, although rain is tentative at best as it doesn't make a lot of appearances. We have the largest man made lake in the Southern Hemisphere (this information may be outdated) where there is fishing, skiing and crocodiles. Bordered on all sides by barren crap there is also the oportunity to do some outdoorsy things. Situated apporximately 180Km from the Northern Territory border and about 200Km from the first 'open speed' sign, just for the rev-heads.

There's more but it's getting long as it is.

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
Rhino Racing said:
Unfortunately, our IT guys and Gals all work in admin and therefore are staffies on permanent dayshift roster and get paid accordingly.(Quite low) Some work onsite, and some work in head office in Brissie.

What company you work for ???? Wouldn't happen to be HMP Constructions would it ???? My sister works in the office for them in Brisbane...

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
camvyss said:
Situated apporximately 180Km from the Northern Territory border and about 200Km from the first 'open speed' sign, just for the rev-heads.

And only a 7 hour drive from Townsville. If the road is 'quiet'(insert evil laugh here)

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
camvyss said:
It takes you 7 hours? Evil laugh.......
Yes, yes, i know it's been done faster, but with my vt loaded up and as low as it is, i couldn't afford to leave my diff behind. i thought i did ok though :thumbsup: