Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australias Best Muscle Car?

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
bangers said:
You can't do the work to a current V8 that you could do to the old ones (cos of all the computerised crap).
Yes you can. You've just gotta be "smarter than your equipment"... Check out HPtuners, LS1edit, Flashscan... They're all software programs designed to let you get your hands dirty, just like you did way back when. The engine itself is still the same & still works the same way they used to. The only difference is the "interface". No screwdrivers necessary anymore...

Tuners are getting up to 70 additional fwkw out of Gen3s. And that's without any bolt ons. Just from messing around with the computer.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
clixanup said:
Yes you can. You've just gotta be "smarter than your equipment"... Check out HPtuners, LS1edit, Flashscan... They're all software programs designed to let you get your hands dirty, just like you did way back when. The engine itself is still the same & still works the same way they used to. The only difference is the "interface". No screwdrivers necessary anymore...

Tuners are getting up to 70 additional fwkw out of Gen3s. And that's without any bolt ons. Just from messing around with the computer.
So very true clixanup, but even with out using the likes of HPT on the LS1 you can still get good times outta the new school stuff. Bolt on cars minus a tune running 13's..........like to see that outta a stock small block chev......
AirStrike :air:

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
greenlimozine said:
i have some news for you... go research the old phase 2-4 falcons. the phase 4 was BANNED from australia (altho 4 were sold) because they reached over 400 kmph STOCK.. THEY were and still are the fasted production car EVER!!!

I can't believe this guy thinks the Phase 4 did 400km/h. The 1000HP Bugatti Veyron gets 408km/h, and they spent 5 years gettin the aero right to keep in on the ground at that speed. One of the XR6T Tuners got 300km/h out of a modded XR6T and the driver said it was floatin all over the road. Come on greenlimozine, wake up.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
sure you can stroke them, bore them, do head work etc, but you don't have the different combinations you had with the older engines. swapping cranks and heads, rods, pistons etc etc creating multiple variations and multitudes of different power outputs. i've seen people put ford cranks in holdens. And i'm yet to see a Gen III need to be chained down cos of the power. what is with the fanatical love of a Gen III? they aren't that great and they're a prick to work on. it's alright if you want to pay someone to hook up a computer and tune it every time you make a small change. The new cars are a Street Machine not a Muscle Car.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
bangers said:
what is with the fanatical love of a Gen III?
Airstrike summed it up. 13s with little work. As has already been said "...like to see that out of a small block..."
bangers said:
it's alright if you want to pay someone to hook up a computer and tune it every time you make a small change.
Ah, but you don't have to. All the software packages I mentioned are publically available for the backyarder.

Its light, powerful & its an American V8. What's not to like?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
bangers said:
sure you can stroke them, bore them, do head work etc, but you don't have the different combinations you had with the older engines. swapping cranks and heads, rods, pistons etc etc creating multiple variations and multitudes of different power outputs. i've seen people put ford cranks in holdens. And i'm yet to see a Gen III need to be chained down cos of the power. what is with the fanatical love of a Gen III? they aren't that great and they're a prick to work on. it's alright if you want to pay someone to hook up a computer and tune it every time you make a small change. The new cars are a Street Machine not a Muscle Car.
They only need to be chained down due to the deteriating engine mounts.......I have seen 4 900hp+ LS1's with plenty of manners, same figure from an old school small or big block is as lumpy as my nanas porridge!
Dont get me wrong I love old school, uncle has a 8/71 on a 400 small block, but I like the fact you can make the same power with a turn-key reliable, internally stock LS1 with a turbo kit, for the same $$$ or less........

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
I was at the government auctions not long ago and a few other guys and myself didn't flinch let alone turn around when a gen III was started up. but the moment a CL charger with only a 360 in it fired up we all turned around. nothing beats the soothing massage of a lumpy V8 and the idling whump whump whump noise to give one pleasant dreams. not that droning noise out of modern cars. as i said the new cars are quick but still.......they aren't a muscle car IMO they're a family street machine. they cruise along and when you put your foot down the power is there, unlike the older cars that can't idle along, they're lumpy and asking to be run hard. mmmm wet dream stuff. All new cars are clit cars, every c*nt has one. everyone does the same thing to their cars. the old cars had so many variable options to do there was rarely one with the same work done.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Please don't take this as being argumentative, as it is not my intention, but could you explain "little work"?. Is it just referring to software changes or bolt ons.
Genuinely interested to know as an old school backyard mechanic.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
bangers said:
I was at the government auctions not long ago and a few other guys and myself didn't flinch let alone turn around when a gen III was started up. but the moment a CL charger with only a 360 in it fired up we all turned around. nothing beats the soothing massage of a lumpy V8 and the idling whump whump whump noise to give one pleasant dreams. not that droning noise out of modern cars. as i said the new cars are quick but still.......they aren't a muscle car IMO they're a family street machine. they cruise along and when you put your foot down the power is there, unlike the older cars that can't idle along, they're lumpy and asking to be run hard. mmmm wet dream stuff. All new cars are clit cars, every c*nt has one. everyone does the same thing to their cars. the old cars had so many variable options to do there was rarely one with the same work done.
All the old cars had different combinations because the automotive aftermarket was but a tenth of what it is now! It was all back yard mechanics to get some performance due to the lack of parts avaliable and lack of knowledge. Now you can have a 10sec car drive in drive out for under $20K.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Pretender said:
Please don't take this as being argumentative, as it is not my intention, but could you explain "little work"?. Is it just referring to software changes or bolt ons.
Genuinely interested to know as an old school backyard mechanic.
With bolt ons only (extractors, exhaust, CAI, etc) and a diff gear change a 13 is easy. Add a tune and you have a 12 second time slip for around $5K. Add a converter, or clutch and rip shifter and you now have a mid 12.
The current Bolt on records are mid to high 11's. Thats an un-opened engine.