Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australias Best Muscle Car?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
I wouldn't say lack of knowledge. knowledge has just changed thats all. it's evolved. Take Edelbrock for example. they've been around for 30+ years. they made performance parts back then and moved with the times. if it wasn't for the older cars and 'backyard mechanics' you wouldn't have the performance of today. plus you can have an older car pull 10secs for less than $20k. i'd still rather a V8 that tries to lift the front off the ground then one that bogs down and takes off.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Cheers Airstrike
In my family there has been four old school smallblock cars in the 13s. All needed more than the simple bolt ons though. My older brother's Charger only had bolt ons if you include gearbox and carby, motor remained stock otherwise. Looks easier to do with the newer cars.
Now if I could just afford one.

E55 Charger, 340. Extractors,Carby and 4spd manual box = best 13.6
Vh SS 308 4spd. Heads, Extractors, 4 webbers + manifold = best 13.8
LH SLR L34 308 4spd, extractors, carby, diff = best 13.7
XD small block 351 4spd, extractors, carby, diff = best 13.7

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
bangers said:
I wouldn't say lack of knowledge. knowledge has just changed thats all. it's evolved. Take Edelbrock for example. they've been around for 30+ years. they made performance parts back then and moved with the times. if it wasn't for the older cars and 'backyard mechanics' you wouldn't have the performance of today. plus you can have an older car pull 10secs for less than $20k. i'd still rather a V8 that tries to lift the front off the ground then one that bogs down and takes off.
Lifting the wheels off the ground isnt a desirable effect no matter how cool it looks. Take pannic for example, considerabel time went into rectifying its wheel lift launches.
Im not saying I dont like old school, you just cant deny the reliablity and ease of power from a new school engine.
AirStrike :air:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Pretender said:
Cheers Airstrike
In my family there has been four old school smallblock cars in the 13s. All needed more than the simple bolt ons though. My older brother's Charger only had bolt ons if you include gearbox and carby, motor remained stock otherwise. Looks easier to do with the newer cars.
Now if I could just afford one.

E55 Charger, 340. Extractors,Carby and 4spd manual box = best 13.6
Vh SS 308 4spd. Heads, Extractors, 4 webbers + manifold = best 13.8
LH SLR L34 308 4spd, extractors, carby, diff = best 13.7
XD small block 351 4spd, extractors, carby, diff = best 13.7
Thats the benifit from a modern V8. Changing the carby would be the equivilent of changing the throttle body and injectors on a modern car, which is not needed at all.
Very repectful times none the less. But goes to show the power of a well setup LS1, they run similar time, with less mods in a heavier car...........all while using less go juice.
AirStrike :air:

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
it's just evolution in mechanics. and 'reliability' is used loosely I hope ;)

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
bangers said:
what is with the fanatical love of a Gen III? they aren't that great and they're a prick to work on. it's alright if you want to pay someone to hook up a computer and tune it every time you make a small change.

I admit, I'm a fanatic for the GenIII. I know they've had and got probs and all that, but so does everything. What do I love the most about them? The aftermarket mods. There's just so many roads ya can go down - single turbo, twin turbo, single supercharged (centrifugal or screw-type), twin supercharged (combination of the two), and then there's always how much ya can get from an atmo engine, from tuning and bolt ons. Sure it costs money, but in many and most cases, for the power and driveability, plus the reasonable fuel economy (at least on the highway), it's a bloody good deal

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
you can turbo or supercharge any vehicle though. each to their own i know. i've driven a few of them through my last job as a semi driver carrying cars, yes they're quick. i know the advantages of electronics too, but with that comes alot of problems. basically all V6's and recent V8's are a bitch to work on. what's wrong with backyard mechanics and enjoying your own handiwork? gone are the days of sitting around drinking and working on cars with mates. now it's cruising in a car that someone else did up for you. if i want something fast that i can't work on i'll buy a bike and kick all your asses.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
bangers said:
and 'reliability' is used loosely I hope ;)
I wouldn't say so. "New school" kicks the ass of "old school" in terms of reliability.

Little things like contact points which wear away, carby jets which clog up, manifold gaskets which develop leaks, etc, etc, etc, are all things of the past. EFI and electronic ignition ensure that ignition timing is never out of whack and that fuel mixtures are precise.
bangers said:
gone are the days of sitting around drinking and working on cars with mates.
Since when? I know heaps of guys who spend their Saturdays doing just that. As I've said before, the only difference is that they have to be careful not to spill beer on the laptop. Otherwise, everything else is the same. Keep up with technology. You're living in the past man!!
bangers said:
nothing beats the soothing massage of a lumpy V8 and the idling whump whump whump noise to give one pleasant dreams.
With the right exhaust, an LS1 can be made to sound as sweet as you like. Its just that they come with restrictive & quiet systems from the factory because of modern emissions requirements.

Here's a link to an article about the LS1 for old schoolers...

http://superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/induction_poweradders/0409sc_gmpp/

Or this one's even better:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/0508ch_carb/

500hp from an LS1 retrofitted with a distributor & carby... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
a bloke i work with had a 5L with VN heads and said he got better power by puting a carby on it. another guy came in today who races cars and he said he's had carby cars give better fuel economy than injected. and electronic dizzies...well you do know you can put them on older engines to get rid of the points.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
bangers said:
a bloke i work with had a 5L with VN heads and said he got better power by puting a carby on it. another guy came in today who races cars and he said he's had carby cars give better fuel economy than injected.

The guy I sat next to on the bus last friday knows a guy that used to work with another guy who built motors for P. Brock and found that if you spin the motor anti clockwise you have 5 gears in reverse!

Bottom line, if carbs were even 2% better than fuel injection, every race team would run them. If carbs were 1% more reliable than fuel injection, car manufacturers would run them as they are a ton cheaper to manufacture.

You are sprouting crap and seriously need to go back to driving your taxi.

Reaper