Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto or manual???

Auto or Manual

• Auto

Votes: 135 37.3%
  • Manual

Votes: 227 62.7%

• Total voters

patrick niesler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i have an auto V6 VT, it is good and all, but if at the time a manual one came up that wasnt twice the price with an extra 100,000kms on the clock i would have gone the manual one for sure.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Ill always drive manual. I honestly cant stand autos... i get so bored.

It can be annoying (as i spend 2+ hours every day in bumper to bumper peak hour) but for those odd days when you can take your car on a nice windy road..... its worth having manual.

And of course the power gains and fuel economy gains are nice as well.

grainqey

Reaction score
Members Ride
(u.k version) Vauxhall omega
You know how i feel troy :p
And all my cars are manual.
So much more fun, autos can get damn boring.
Only auto i would have is if i had some intense street/strip car with a hell worked auto.

in some ways i agree but i find auto alot easier when the backend goes a bit in the wet or your actually trying to get sideways.

i'v not had the experience of driving a manual yet.
autobox seems to suit the engine in my opinion

VIP SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS SERIES 2
Have an auto but miss manual if I can con the wife into letting me build a vl turbo then it will be manual

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Manual, auto's (no matter how good they are and have driven some damm good one) still bore me. I just find it more fun.

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
auto

auto, but just cos i'm lazy and can't be arsed after a big day at work
(first post btw hope it works) :confused:

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Auto, purely because I really can't be bothered changing gears.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
auto, cause its easier in traffic, but when i get on an open bit of road i sometimes wish it was a manual, especially when it lags a bit, next car will hopefully be a manual ute or another 4wd though. iv had a manual v8 before and it was heaps of fun on an open road, but in traffic it was a bit of a pain shifting up and down between 1st and 2nd in traffic every 2mins.

VSIIISU

Reaction score
Website
tuxsavvy.vox.com
Members Ride
VS III S Yewt
Manual advantages:

1) You get control over which gear you want the car to rev at.
2) Especially for utes and trucks, you can use this to compensate the load. In automatics, you can only choose from 1-3.
3) Holden and Ford hardly produce cars with manual transmission. So it makes you more unique having manual as roughly 10% of the production is manual (rumours).
4) You won't get bored changing gear and for others it keeps you awake.
5) Ever noticed that manual doesn't come with transmission cooler and how automatic does? ;)
6) Try hill starting an automatic without any batteries connected :p
7) V8 supercars use manual gearboxes. F1 drivers are too lazy :p. I bet V8 brutes also uses manual gearboxes.
8) REAL drivers use manuals with dogbox.

Manual disadvantages:

1) You have to change gear almost all the time. Failure to do so may cause damage to running gear such as over-revving.
2) Despite its rarity, you pay more for having a manual. Second hands are harder to source at times particularly utes.
3) If you don't get used to clutching, you will have fun with lovely smells of clutch coasting and a nice welcoming bill.
4) Initial learning phase welcomes gear crunching sounds and stalling.

Automatic advantages:

1) Good for city cruising, or during peak hour traffic where you won't have to bother changing gears all the time.
2) Cheaper than manual counterparts for Holden and Ford. Funny that eh? Imported cars particularly from Japan are quite the opposite.
3) No need to worry about clutch coasting, the computer and hydraulics do the work for you. Also no stalls until you start meddling with the car.
4) Drag drivers prefer automatics most of the time. You just press the accelerator pedal and hang tight!
5) Who could forget that taxi drivers love to have both feet resting on brake and accelerator pedal with automatics? Can't do that easily and comfortably with manuals despite breaking the laws.
6) With utes you can have bench seats with the automatic setup as column shift.

Automatic disadvantages:

1) Can't roll start without a battery easily.
2) Harder to repair than manual counterparts
3) Can't have own control of gears when you have varied load.

Btw, I have manual. It was a real pain to source a manual VS ute :)