Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto or manual???

Auto or Manual

• Auto

Votes: 135 37.3%
  • Manual

Votes: 227 62.7%

• Total voters

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Manual for me, learned to drive on one and it's stuck with me. Owned an auto for about a year, ended up converting it to a manual because I couldn't take it any more.

My old 4L60E used to throw the back end out around corners too often in the wet. You'd slow down for the corner, it would choose 2nd, you'd get to the apex and gently apply throttle, and the auto would say "oh hey he wants to go faster, how about I kick down to 1st" and all of a sudden. That box was retarded. Switched to a manual where I know what I'm doing with the gears and all was well, never slipped again (unintentionally)

racelord

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn,vr,vz,ve ss
i have both a vz sv6 auto and ve ss manual 8cyls and a clutch pedal is soooo much fun

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Give me a manual anyday. I wish my Adventra was a manual - it would make all my motoring dreams come true.

VSIIISU

Reaction score
Website
tuxsavvy.vox.com
Members Ride
VS III S Yewt
Load compensation, depends on how you configured the weight on the back of the ute. Going up steep hills for example or down the hills. Although automatics can do that as well to some extent but not as fine tuned as driver who can actually see the condition of the road as such.

True for new cars? doubt it, only older ones.

Clutches are expensive, but automatic gear box are just as expensive. I'd rather replace a clutch than a complete gear box. Plus you learn sooner or later on how to use the clutch properly. Inexperienced/slow learner drivers will learn that sooner or later when bill settles in.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Load compensation, depends on how you configured the weight on the back of the ute. Going up steep hills for example or down the hills. Although automatics can do that as well to some extent but not as fine tuned as driver who can actually see the condition of the road as such..

I dont follow at all, I understand that where the load goes will have influence on the ride of the vehicle, but what has the type of transmission got to do with where the load in the vehicle goes?

VSIIISU

Reaction score
Website
tuxsavvy.vox.com
Members Ride
VS III S Yewt
I dont follow at all, I understand that where the load goes will have influence on the ride of the vehicle, but what has the type of transmission got to do with where the load in the vehicle goes?

If you don't drive trucks, then you wouldn't know what I mean, which is shown in this very case.

Although part of the theory also lies with road conditions such as slippery or otherwise wet roads that may require driver to have proper control over vehicle.

Hauling loads can adversely make more impact and especially hauling heavy loads through mountains on slippery roads. In some automatics, the computers hardly use the first gear because its a very short ratio and is only required when the driver does W.O.T. (Wide Open Throttle) launch, otherwise it kicks into second gear if the driver chooses "D" gear.

When hauling loads on a rather steep hill, this can have an effect with computer thinking second gear would be a wise launch assuming the vehicle is not carrying excessive weight and/or not going up the hill (computer doesn't even know the condition of the road, which adds another different set of equation). This combined without the driver using W.O.T. stance will inherently initially slow down the vehicle, may also potentially stall the engine if it was fitted with higher rated torque converter. Of course if the computer realises that engine is crawling, it may switch to first gear.

I do not know if this applies to 4L60E or whatever other automatic transmission GM|Holden has used however assuming on the general consensus including older automatic gearboxes, the above scenario is one particular example.

By the way, I do not mean where as in you can put the load in the front of the car. I meant loads are usually put on empty areas and particularly in the back is ideal :p

Last edited:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
If you don't drive trucks, you wouldn't know what I mean, which is shown in this very case. p

There are two reasons I dont "know what you mean",

1. There is not one decipherable sentence in what you have written ^, and it needs translating to make proper sense.

and/or

2. You are talking complete drivel:

In some automatics, the computers hardly use the first gear because its a very short ratio and is only required when the driver does
Is this trucks with automatic transmission?, Ive only ever encountered manuals. What this has got to do with where the load goes?, Ive got no idea.

Ive never driven an auto yet which has a first gear that is shorter than on a manual car, they dont need to since they have the luxury of torque convertors. Perhaps you can tell us what cars have auto gearboxes that have these stump puller 1st gear ratios?

DavoVP

Reaction score
Id take a manual any day.......Drove auto's off and on ( not mine :p ) and they **** me.

Auto's go faster then manual's ? umm i beg to differ, A mate and i own the same car down to the same year model, His has about 20 thou more k's on the clock, His is auto, mines manual, and i munch him every time. Agreed they may shift gear's faster though.

By the end of a good 1st to 2nd half third run im a good 4 cars on his auto.