Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto or manual???

Auto or Manual

• Auto

Votes: 135 37.3%
  • Manual

Votes: 227 62.7%

• Total voters

VSIIISU

Reaction score
Website
tuxsavvy.vox.com
Members Ride
VS III S Yewt
There are two reasons I dont "know what you mean",

1. There is not one decipherable sentence in what you have written ^, and it needs translating to make proper sense.

and/or

2. You are talking complete drivel:

In some automatics, the computers hardly use the first gear because its a very short ratio and is only required when the driver does
Is this trucks with automatic transmission?, Ive only ever encountered manuals. What this has got to do with where the load goes?, Ive got no idea.

Ive never driven an auto yet which has a first gear that is shorter than on a manual car, they dont need to since they have the luxury of torque convertors. Perhaps you can tell us what cars have auto gearboxes that have these stump puller 1st gear ratios?

Ok I have corrected my grammar for the grammatically correct little nazi here.

Again, you have proven yourself to be a complete ignoramus. It is not where the load goes, its how much the load has a bearing on the vehicle AND what sort of road conditions you are talking about.

In most cases, people choose D gear, instead of 1st. When you are stump pulling, obviously you choose 1st, but for everyday driving without heavy load on the vehicle you choose D. However some people tend get lazy and choose D instead of 1st when it comes to heavy loads and varying road conditions.

I think your ignorance is more obvious than my grammatical mishaps.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Ok I have corrected my grammar for the grammatically correct little nazi here.

Anyone that can't put together what you are trying to say is a complete ignoramus? Im not being picky about your grammar, I genuinely can not work out what you are trying to say. I am having a go at trying to see exactly what it is you are claiming is better about manuals?, not that I have any problem with that.

You wrote this:
Load compensation, depends on how you configured the weight on the back of the ute. Going up steep hills for example or down the hills. Although automatics can do that as well to some extent but not as fine tuned as driver who can actually see the condition of the road as such..

then you write, (after I questioned you about the placement of the load(which somehow makes me an ignoramus)
It is not where the load goes, its how much the load has a bearing on the vehicle AND what sort of road conditions you are talking about.

Two contradictory statements.....not that either of them make a specific point.

Your point?(im taking a punt) people who drive automatics wont put it in the appropriate gear when going downhill with a heavy load on??? what makes you think they'll suddenly have the foresight to do this if they are driving a manual?
So which car has an automatic with a first gear ratio lower than the manual version of the same car.......? I understood that one!

HK-VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ECOTEC
I have a vs auto at the moment.

VSIIISU

Reaction score
Website
tuxsavvy.vox.com
Members Ride
VS III S Yewt
1st time you mentioned where the load in the vehicle goes despite I mentioned when you put the weight on the back of the ute.
commsirac said:
I dont follow at all, I understand that where the load goes will have influence on the ride of the vehicle, but what has the type of transmission got to do with where the load in the vehicle goes?

2nd time you mentioned where you put the weight of the load on the vehicle.
commsirac said:
Is this trucks with automatic transmission?, Ive only ever encountered manuals. What this has got to do with where the load goes?, Ive got no idea.

Tell me if that isn't showing your ignorant status.

VSIIISU said:
Load compensation, depends on how you configured the weight on the back of the ute. Going up steep hills for example or down the hills. Although automatics can do that as well to some extent but not as fine tuned as driver who can actually see the condition of the road as such..
VSIIISU said:
It is not where the load goes, its how much the load has a bearing on the vehicle AND what sort of road conditions you are talking about.
Oh wow, these quotes do contradict each other, someone must be really be that dimwitted to not figure out what I tried to stress out was evidently clear.

commsirac said:
Your point?(im taking a punt) people who drive automatics wont put it in the appropriate gear when going downhill with a heavy load on??? what makes you think they'll suddenly have the foresight to do this if they are driving a manual?

What doesn't make you think that most of the differences between manuals and automatics are opinionated? Tell me if this opinion isn't an opinionated one based on assumptions?

commsirac said:
the major cause of low speed, car park accidents where more challenged drivers mistake the accelerator for the brake. This wouldnt be a problem in manuals as drivers usually also go for disengaging the clutch when applying the brakes.

So you are trying to say that with manual drivers because now there is a 3rd pedal, you wouldn't be stupid to stomp the accelerator pedal because it won't work if you don't have the vehicle in gear? What if you parallel parked your vehicle on a hill with handbrake on along with having the gear in place to act as a secondary brake?

commsirac said:
Anyone that can't put together what you are trying to say is a complete ignoramus? Im not being picky about your grammar, I genuinely can not work out what you are trying to say. I am having a go at trying to see exactly what it is you are claiming is better about manuals?, not that I have any problem with that.

Apparently you do, you couldn't simply go and check wikipedia for some information. I am not here to claim manuals are better, initially I weighed the pros and cons for most parts of manuals vs automatics and that I highlighted what I have. Then you came along asking for ramifications based on why I see manuals are better. I'm sure you don't have a problem with that. Hardly anyone cared in this thread except for you.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
1st time you mentioned where the load in the vehicle goes despite I mentioned when you put the weight on the back of the ute.
......2nd time you mentioned where you put the weight of the load on the vehicle..
I think we'll just call it quits there, english is perhaps not your first language?

VSIIISU

Reaction score
Website
tuxsavvy.vox.com
Members Ride
VS III S Yewt
I think we'll just call it quits there, english is perhaps not your first langauge?

Yeah I call it quits after you stop leaving stupid end remarks. Perhaps maybe English wasn't your first language as well?

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I always choose manual over auto, loved my old 5 speed VL however my VR is auto but for the price i got it for i can't complain.

Only stop and start traffic used to give me the craps