Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto to manual

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
A Full Conversion Kit on Ebay

Hi,

In case you are interested, there is a full conversion kit on Ebay.

Search Ebay for 4571917541.

Ends around 9:40 tonight (Friday). Currently at $340, but would be expected to go higher.

It is obviously cheaper to buy a manual rather than convert. However, there are not many available.

Where are you located? The kit above is an hour north of Sydney, and I have seen a manual VS in a local car yard in Penrith this week.

I have had a number of manual Commodores, and driven numerous autos through work. Would never buy a slush box.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Like everyone else here says and many people have told me before. If you want a manual go buy a manual. Dont try converting the time money and hassle is not worth it. That or live with the auto.

Jollygreengiant

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
You can get the conversion kit with everything needed for around $1600 (reco gearbox). Labour on putting it in can cost you a fair bit, but if u traded in your auto box that could reduce the costs.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
The Ebay Conversion Kit

The Ebay conversion kit mentioned above went for $355.

V

V8muscle

as i just said in another thread, my mate has had this mod done, and i thought it was great. it only cost him 2200 bucks, and that was drive in, drive out. it depends on wether it's a series one or two, cos in series two they bought in a hydraulic clutch, so this may be more expensive to get fitted, not sure. just ring around a few wreckers, and such to find a good mechanic to do it.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
this has been covered too much. please use the search button. then and only then ask about the conversion if your unsure. the cost is about $3000. if your after specifics then it may be best to talk to a trans place.

admin/mod please close this topic.

Gs VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' VS S-Pack Series 2
if u like ur car, stick with the auto, and just put on a shiftkit for it....

not expensive at all, and will work much better then u tryin to convert to manual...

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
i got a kit for 1650 i can fit myself but im just after the different wirring i need to do if anyones got it or know what needs to be changed? and also does it need to be enginered?

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
ill tell u now, there is nothin as fun as a manual car and cos mine is one of the 2% made factory manual its even sweeter.

sorry to rub it in

unless u can do the conversion urself, ur lookin at spending a fair bit of cash, and also it can be hard to find good parts for the right price.

to be honest, i cant really point u in either direction, cos i love driving manual but i wouldnt spend the money to convert.

MBS206

Reaction score
Meh, I can't be bothered reading all of the replies in this thread, but as I'm in the process of doing this to my car, here goes:

You need the manual gearbox out of a VP Series 2, or newer, 5 speed (You CAN get the VS one as well)
You can't go any earlier then the VP Series 2, unless you change your crank, as they have different flex plate bolt holes. (5 on VN/VPS1, 8 on VP S2 onwards)
The V8 box WON'T fit a V6, unless you get a V6 input shaft, although you can have a V6 Input shaft machined to fit a V8. (V8 runs a shorter input shaft)

I bought a whole conversion kit for $950. All I need to do is get it all bolted in.
Avg price for a whole conversion kit: $1500 - $2000...
Not to bad, considering the price of a auto-manual car can make the car value jump by around $3000.

I haven't yet sussed out the speed sensor part yet. Will be doing it later.