Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic transmission shift program

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
You are an ex-engineer working with GMH, correct?
Sounds like a wive’s tale frankly, else how do you explain TUTD mode present in 2007 T43 tune, four years prior to the PPV?
In any case you can have the 6L80 act crazy just by flicking to Sports Mode. Best and craziest tune did not come via EFIlive rather Sonny at Autowerks using HP Tuners. That was seven years ago now, still swap in that tune on occasion and I’m sure he will flash it together with ECU tune for a small fee.

No longer an employee, worked in engineering but not powertrain. Fair enough you know the ecu's more then me so I'll take your word for it that it, that it was always present but never enabled. I don't believe GMH ppwertrian had performance shift mode enabled from factory for VE? Only PPV's and VF.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
No longer an employee, worked in engineering but not powertrain. Fair enough you know the ecu's more then me so I'll take your word for it that it, that it was always present but never enabled. I don't believe GMH ppwertrian had performance shift mode enabled from factory for VE? Only PPV's and VF.
Believe it or not. Even my VE SV6 Sportwagon had it. I've never had trouble finding the P spot . I guess I must have a leadfoot lol.

Last edited:

CalaisVLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2litre V8
It seems steering wheel shift paddles are an official option kit according to the Holden VF, WN Accessory Installation Manual linked in this post. The install itself seems a simple affair and the instructions even indicate what service program setting is to be made by the Holden Tech. Pity the instructions don't seem to include the GM part number for the kit itself (The Install Instruction p/n is 92272322 which seems a useless fact to be included in the doc).

No need to go to a 3rd party provider as it should be a doable home install with a quick trip to Holden for their techs to do a seemingly trivial reprogram (but who knows what they will charge for this simple task).

As a general comment regarding "Performance Mode", guess i'll have to go for a drive and test the MSE. I suspect I've been too gentle to date but now she has >1000kms, I need to jump on her a little harder and may be rewarded for the effort ;) She can bite so I'll have to proceed with caution :)
It has not been as simple as that to obtain the paddles on the Calais V. Initially my dealer fitted a paddle equipped steering wheel on purchase of the vehicle, then informed me they could not reprogram the car to accept the physical change and make the paddles work.....I had some contacts in GM that said it was possible and they were willing to do the re-flash as a personal favour, though as the car is still under warranty, I wanted it done through official channels. Holden contacted me and flat out refused to do the work. They said that a re-flash to allow the paddles to work would mean the car was unique and this was forbidden.They also said any future updates from Holden may disable the paddle operation. Instead, I was refunded the money for the paddle shift steering wheel and offered some compensation for being promised the paddle shift option that ultimately could not be delivered....I plan to refit the paddle shift wheel when my warranty ends as it makes no sense why the LS3 Calais V did not get them from the start....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It has not been as simple as that to obtain the paddles on the Calais V. Initially my dealer fitted a paddle equipped steering wheel on purchase of the vehicle, then informed me they could not reprogram the car to accept the physical change and make the paddles work.....I had some contacts in GM that said it was possible and they were willing to do the re-flash as a personal favour, though as the car is still under warranty, I wanted it done through official channels. Holden contacted me and flat out refused to do the work. They said that a re-flash to allow the paddles to work would mean the car was unique and this was forbidden.They also said any future updates from Holden may disable the paddle operation. Instead, I was refunded the money for the paddle shift steering wheel and offered some compensation for being promised the paddle shift option that ultimately could not be delivered....I plan to refit the paddle shift wheel when my warranty ends as it makes no sense why the LS3 Calais V did not get them from the start....
I’m assuming document I linked to is genuine and I have no reason to believe it is not. So, one must question the level of competence within Holden for them to release such a document, that defines what needs to be reprogrammed for the paddle kit to work, while also making statements that such reprogramming can’t be done as “unique is not allowed”. It just boggles the mind and it makes no sense on multiple levels o_O

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Is there a difference in shift programming betweenMY16 and MY17 auto VFII's? If anyone can elaborate what, if any changes were made?

Additionally, I really enjoy the upshift's and downshift throttle blipping when the auto in my VFII LS3 enters "performance mode" whilst in sport shift mode. This happens when the vehicle senses lots of throttle and steering wheel angle...The question is.....Would gearbox durability and refinement be compromised if the gearbox could be programmed to keep this shift pattern at all times when in sport shift mode?