Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do towbars require Canbus Module?

mullet_gutts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 MY14 SV6 Sportwagon
Hi all,
I have just purchased a used 2013 MY14 SV6. I am going to get a towbar put on it, but am undecided if I should get it done by the dealer or by a aftermarket local. I am unsure because the aftermarket guy tells me I need to have a Canbus module fitted to the wiring harness, however the dealer knows nothing of the sort. Can anyone here clarify?

Cheers,
Dave.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
the tail light module is required
however be aware even the dealer may use aftermarket as they are cheaper than genuine
our ve was ordered with towbar but has aftermarket trailer module fitted by dealer
of course anything can be dodgied up to work without module
genuine will turn of reverse sesnsors when trailer fitted
and have heard some rumours that the abs/ stability control is also changed but have been too lazy to investigate this

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
AFAIK you need one. Without one you'll likely get warning codes for lights due to extra current draw on the lighting circuits and the indicators will likely flash very fast. There are features built in to the car such as trailer sway control which I would assume work when the car knows a trailer is attached via the module. The module kit also will come with the trailer harness which is a surprisingly comprehensive rejig of the car's existing harness plugs.

mullet_gutts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 MY14 SV6 Sportwagon
the tail light module is required
however be aware even the dealer may use aftermarket as they are cheaper than genuine
our ve was ordered with towbar but has aftermarket trailer module fitted by dealer
of course anything can be dodgied up to work without module
genuine will turn of reverse sesnsors when trailer fitted
and have heard some rumours that the abs/ stability control is also changed but have been too lazy to investigate this

Thank you. I assume that if the dealer sends it to an aftermarket guy to fit, they should know that the Canbus module is definitely a necessary requirement?

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
FYI (no help re your situation but peace of mind for some owners); in the past when ordered, as part of a new car purchase GMH (when operating) fitted tow bars at the factory post assembly. Bypassing the dealer and 3rd Party installers. May explain variations in modules look of bars.
GMH did a good neat job and I have had no problems with both cars bars installed this way.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Thank you. I assume that if the dealer sends it to an aftermarket guy to fit, they should know that the Canbus module is definitely a necessary requirement?

If the dealer orders a Genuine tow bar kit through Holden Spare Parts, the Genuine tow bar kit will have the necessary hardware, harneses modules etc for seemless install and is plug n play. Unless the dealer is a small operation, one would assume that they dealer would use a service mechanic to fit the Genuine tow bar kit.

mullet_gutts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 MY14 SV6 Sportwagon
If the dealer orders a Genuine tow bar kit through Holden Spare Parts, the Genuine tow bar kit will have the necessary hardware, harneses modules etc for seemless install and is plug n play. Unless the dealer is a small operation, one would assume that they dealer would use a service mechanic to fit the Genuine tow bar kit.

I have bought the car from Newcastle City Holden, who is owned by AHG (who claim to be Australia's Largest Motoring Group) and yet they are still outsourcing the supply and fitment of the towbar. I am told that the heavy duty one that I have requested is exactly the same Hayman Reese brand (without the words "Hayman Reese written on it) without the Genuine GM price tag attached. I have been quoted $835 supplied and fitted for the H/D towbar and a 12 pin flat plug.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
A genuine is only $880 fitted and holds Holden's warranty. I wouldn't be skimping the $45 for some aftermarket piece of **** that at best hammers the CANbus with frivolous requests and at worst fries a BCM.

The genuine trailer interface module isolates globes from the BCM so if you hook up something with a dead short you don't cook the body control module. You WANT the genuine trailer interface module.

mullet_gutts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 MY14 SV6 Sportwagon
A genuine is only $880 fitted and holds Holden's warranty. I wouldn't be skimping the $45 for some aftermarket piece of **** that at best hammers the CANbus with frivolous requests and at worst fries a BCM.

The genuine trailer interface module isolates globes from the BCM so if you hook up something with a dead short you don't cook the body control module. You WANT the genuine trailer interface module.

Thanks.
I am told that the tow bar is a Hayman Reese (from the Hayman Reese factory) with all the specs of one with the GM plate riveted on to it. The wiring harness and canbus module on the other hand, I’m not sure of.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Plug and play with the Holden certificate is your safer option.
..... only $45 extra