Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic Versus Manual

J

Joes_meat

In day to day driving, you're not likley to break gears off in a manual. But you are likley to have faults with an automatic transmission.

And if something does go wrong - replacement manuals are cheaper.

Straight line performance - the drag cars prove it, worked auto's are quicker.

VKNutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Berlina
definatly go for the manual... I get boared in an auto... sadly for me, the wife couldn't drive manual to save herself... so in the interest of harmony (meaning that if i'm too drunk to drive home, she can't use the excuse that she can't drive my car) I have an auto...

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
ok im trying to convince a friend of mine that autos are faster for drags, he wont believe me. he says that "car manufacturer sites say that their manual models are faster". can someone give me the definate facts to explain why autos are faster? not just opinion?

venerableChicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Manual all the way.

Unfortunately i have an auto vn and the gearbox is a steaming heap of sloppy poo! It cant work out which gear it needs to be in even when you tell it which one you want, an then half the time it just stays somewhere between gears.

It does launch off the line pretty well though. (Proved this against mates '04 XR8 manual 260kw. raced him 5 times from the lights an beat him to 60 every time! He was cut!!)

VH SLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
stocky said:
ok im trying to convince a friend of mine that autos are faster for drags, he wont believe me. he says that "car manufacturer sites say that their manual models are faster". can someone give me the definate facts to explain why autos are faster? not just opinion?

i think i read somwhere that the new HSV autos are quicker over the 400 than the manuals. was probably a magazine somwhere but i buy every holden, commodore, hsv, hdt, street machine magazines i find.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Its not that autos are quicker at the drags, its that no skill is required. A few of the current top 10 including the top BOTS cars are manuals.
AirStrike :air:

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
I don't know about Manuals Vs Auto's, the boundaries are getting very blurred these days... A new XR6T with a 6 speed auto is gunna flog the pants off a VZ manual or auto around the track and in a straight line, expecially if the driver is using the sports shift mode and holding the gears right through!

Hey I love my holdens, but I hate the auto box, I'd much rather have a manual, but if I could get a transmission like the new falcon 6 speed in my holden I'd never touch a manual again. Most guys can't drive manuals anyway, as much as they might think they can... Guys are just gunna burn out their clutches and tyres, trying to take on newer auto's so why not just conceed defeat. When holden start making 6 and 7 speed auto boxes, the world will be a much better place :D