Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Average income per year

newcastleboy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I'm very lucky for my age (20) to be earning just under $70k gross a year, that's as a train driver. That's not factoring in any overtime either, and I usually do at least one or two a fortnight.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
mining engineering is where its at!.. my cousin got staright onto $105k/year with bluescope and is on alot more now.

or a lawyer.. average lawyer earns $350 an hour as a minimum, if you can get the clients you'll be rolling in it.

Yes and no.

The high salaries of mining engineering grads is a direct result of the shortage of mining engineers coupled with the mining boom. Contractors also pay significantly more than mining houses but the grad ends up doing a lot of people managing instead of hands on design and engineering.

When I was a mining engineering grad in 2002, it was before the mining boom and there was no shortage of mining engineers available. As a result, the only job I was offered was as a coal miner on $63k a year, which I accepted. My first real grad engineer job was my next job with one of the countries largest zinc and lead miners and the salary was $49k.

Around about the time I graduated, the numbers of people enrolling in mining degrees almost stopped as it was hard to get a job. When the boom took off, there was a shortage.

I think graduate salaries will start to scale back, already Xstrata offer around $70k package for graduates, which realistically, is all they are worth. The quality of todays graduates is also questionable, as most universities dropped the requirements to enrol in order to boost numbers, so as a senior mining/geotechnical engineer, I have found most graduates severely lacking in mathematics and rock mechanics and with an expectation they will be promoted to a senior position in 3 years, which they probably will due to the shortage.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I'm a high school teacher, 30 years old and last financial year I grossed $66,000. I paid over $15,000 in tax though.

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
$0 for me. That's what happens when you run your own business. Although a successful one i might add, but because all my money is going back into the business i don't have spare cash as such. Having said that the business does pay a lot back :D And forgot to mention i am a computer technician and run a local repair and retail store for hardware and software.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
$13988 before tax and overtime, first year apprentice sucks (I'm 17 though).

With over time, around $17000,$18000 this year.. (Get alot of over time)

I get a shitty $269 a week, with over time $355 or something, but it goes up to like $380 a week next year, then $510, etc.. But meh. Gotta start somewhere

Benjamin K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais V6 Supercharged
Currently on 52k a year, however I start my new job in January. 113k a year before my 20th birthday.

Mining/energy is where it's at. You loose your social life, but you can't really have a social life at 20 on $500 a week before tax though. I prefer to have every 5th week off, own a nice car on a loan and still not worry about budgeting... :surprise:

sycvs

commo for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
45- 50 k a year after tax dariy farm good i think considering i only milk morning and night i still have my whole day to my self and its cruisie i also work some days thats why pay goes up and down

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Currently on 52k a year, however I start my new job in January. 113k a year before my 20th birthday.

Mining/energy is where it's at. You loose your social life, but you can't really have a social life at 20 on $500 a week before tax though. I prefer to have every 5th week off, own a nice car on a loan and still not worry about budgeting... :surprise:
I totally agree with you there. Make your money, save like hell and retire young. Enjoy the last years of your life while all the other suckers are still working.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
last financial year i earned around $8,000 before tax, mixing 2 jobs and full time university (HECS) and working every day in uni holidays. makes it hard when your spending $60 a week just for fuel to get to uni as there is no public transport available.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
No one really gives a **** how much each other earns.

People just want to know where they fit in society.

If you earn heaps are you special?

The bloke down the pub says; what do you do mate?

What he's really questioning is if you fit into his category of decent people. Challenge these scum bags!

Last edited: