Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

B.o.v

P

patrix

hey everyone, im just wondering are blow off valves illegal ? i have heard they are, but i have also heard that they are legal if the gas or w/e is released into the exhaust and not into the atmosphere , could any1 plz clear this up for me thanx

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
When it's released into the atmosphere it's illegal. You get an EPA and you have to take your car down for an inspection..

Would a BOV make the same noise if it was vented into the exhaust?

It's a cop magnet anyway.. And it pisses people off..

P

patrix

according to the previous owner of my new car the b.o.v is vented into the exhaust but to me it sounds just the same, it does however have this little hose that comes out the top of the b.o.v and dissapears down the back behind the engine so i dunno

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
You might just wanna check out where that hose does go - incase the previous owner was telling a little fib-bib-dibly!

P

patrix

i check the hose that come sout the top of the bov and it goes back into the air intake just behind the throtle body

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Sounds good to me..

B

BOV

Atmo BOVs are illegal cos they vent to atmosphere (EPA regulations etc)... They sound sexy though and I love em!

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
A fart sounds good too with the right tone, but you wouldn't want to listen to them all the time.

If it's going into the air intake then it isn't going into the exhaust?

I know I'll cop it, but BOV are a waste of alloy. I live on a big main road and they just give me the sh*ts. They are illegal, everyone flaunts it andnthen cracks the old 'the autobahn guy told me it was ok' trick.

You'd be better sticking your head out the window and going WOO WOO WOO WOOOooo shhhhhhh!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
i personally hate the BOV sound. i much rather a plum back setup into the pod, but apparently that damages the turbo.

As it is i'm pissed i have to use a pod, but its a small price to pay to be turbo'd

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
You have to use a pod??