Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

B.o.v

V

vt2vygts

plum back is legal... venting isn't... i wish it were though ;)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
bextor84 said:
You have to use a pod??
Thats what I was thinking I have seen setups using the factor airbox, just with some extra ducting for more air flow.
AirStrike :air:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
AirStrike said:
Thats what I was thinking I have seen setups using the factor airbox, just with some extra ducting for more air flow.
AirStrike :air:
the guy doing my turbo setup wants it that way. Since he's doing it cheap, i'll let it go.

Also, i'm not too educated on the BOV thing, but i though plum back doesn't vent to the atmo, so how would it be illegal?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Plumb back isn't illegal. You could always change your setup back to the factory airbox if you wanted stealthy, its just running a new pipe.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
bextor84 said:
Plumb back isn't illegal. You could always change your setup back to the factory airbox if you wanted stealthy, its just running a new pipe.
the turbo isn't actually fitted yet, and the problem i have is the turbo is so big, the only place to put it is where the factory airbox goes

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
GFB actually make a switchable bov....you can have it plumb-back ready and switch it to vent to atmosphere by turning the top of the valve to change the position of the outlet. by the way stealth, are you going to make a shroud for the pod filter? if not, thats another defect right there. unless youre putting it down in the bumper.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
The switchable bovs are illegal too as far as I've heard.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
EcotecManiac said:
GFB actually make a switchable bov....you can have it plumb-back ready and switch it to vent to atmosphere by turning the top of the valve to change the position of the outlet. by the way stealth, are you going to make a shroud for the pod filter? if not, thats another defect right there. unless youre putting it down in the bumper.
emmisions tests to get my setup 'legal' are over $6000 or soemthing, so the pod is going to be the last of my worries!

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
The trick is that you can get very effective and high performance show-off (whoops, sorry), I mean "Blow off" valves which are much better than stock and are virtually completely silent. "Stealth" models I believe they are called. It just shows you can have the increased performance and not piss off everyone and attract the cops. The same with exhausts...in an AutoSalon "street car of the year" issue, they had a specially built R32 Skyline GTR which put out something like 800kw yet the exhaust was quieter than a standard Skyline, and waaaaay below the "legal limit" the EPA can do you for. It can be done, if you are willing to be a bit clever.

I love hearing blow-off valves set to "whoosh", just above idle as they accelerate gently away from an intersection. A mate of mine who knows far more about turbos than I will ever know is perplexed by this. He says "don't they know they're venting most of the boost before it does any good for the engine?". In other words, more for show than go.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
you think thats bad, try getting a boost leak like on the guys car thats doing mine. Fixed now, but for a while he was loosing half the boost. Not a big deal though for a daily driver.

As i said before, i'm not one to like to show off sound, but it can't be a bad thing pulling up next to a skyline and showing him not only imports have turbos :p