Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

back again with more problems :(

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
So last time i had this problem of backfiring low revs and black smoke. This happened about 2 months ago and i changed the CAS, fuel filter, fuel pump, reset computer, changed plugs and leads, compression tested, done the timing set to 16degrees, oil filter and oil, dizzy.

And its all started again. Lows revs sitting on about 3000-400rpms blowing black smoke. When i turn the car on it sounds like a ticky injector. Could this be my problem. It stops tickibg after about 30secs of running. This all started yesterday morning

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
look for an unsupported section of rubber fuel hose that may be kinking almost shut when heated by warm air coming back from engine, then unkinking when allowed to cool down

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
black smoke is usually running rich.
complete fuel pressure test to rule out dud regulator and or leaking injectors.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check the connection at the MAF, I've had them have a dodgy connection and it would do this intermittently. Also, make sure the clamps are tight at the MAF and the intake pipe isn't sucking air. (Other than from where it should be of course)

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
Problem solved. It was as simple as taking the plug off the afm and putting it back on. Was giving the VL a hard time the day before. Id say it got a few jolts everytime in got put into the next gear lol

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Problem solved. It was as simple as taking the plug off the afm and putting it back on. Was giving the VL a hard time the day before. Id say it got a few jolts everytime in got put into the next gear lol

Before my car broke down, it would idle like crap, and I'd pull lightly on the AFM plug (not hard enough to pull it off) and the idle would pick up and go back to normal, then I'd let go and it would run like **** again. Stupid car lol

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That's a common issue with the VL.