Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Back up camera?

theking

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Caprice SS
Hi guys,
First of all, I am happy to be part of your great forum, and I look forward to learn from you guys and try to give back.

So I just bought a 2009 Caprice SS, back home, my brother bought it for me, I still haven't seen it, can't wait till summer is here so I can drive it!

I know that this is a different name you guys aren't used to, but I think it is the same model as the VE Commodore, correct me if I'm wrong.
I have attached some pictures of my car.
photo 2-1.JPGphoto 1-1.JPG4lhg1l.jpg

My question is, has anyone added a back-up camera to their car before? I know this vehicle has a really long chassis compared to other cars, I don't know why it hasn't been included as a factory option.

I came across a very good idea, and what seems to look like a fantastic accessory that could do the job.

Wireless Car Rear View Parking System Backup Reverse Camera 4 3" TFT LCD Monitor | eBay

It is actually a "CLIP-ON" rear view mirror that has a screen in it, that turns on and displays the camera when in reverse.
I think it's a marvelous idea.

But I'm really not sure about the dimensions of the factory sized rear view mirror. This "CLIP-ON" has the following dimensions:

74mm in height
287 mm in width

Any input on all of this would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
The wireless camera system will work fine. There are many different types and prices available on eBay etc. The reason Holden didn't include such feature would have been based on cost and (in general) a lack of demand by consumers. They have always been slow to respond to consumer demand - probably a good reason for their falling sales and demise in the market place (in a couple of years).
The standard VZ internal rear view mirror is approx. 265 x 46 The size you have quoted should not be a problem and will likely give you an improved rear view.

theking

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Caprice SS
The standard VZ internal rear view mirror is approx. 265 x 46 The size you have quoted should not be a problem and will likely give you an improved rear view.

Benboy, thank you for providing these measurements. It should fit fine if the "VZ" mirror is the same size as the "VE". Because honestly my car looks more like a "VE".

The wireless systems you stated, are they of any harder job to install?

Also, is there a DIY guide for all the right wires to use and where to find a good hidden 12V output?

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Hey Buddy, welcome to the boards. I'm a Canadian living in Australia for the last 10 years. I own a VE commodore here (pontiac G8 for you) but your Chevy Caprice SS is the long wheelbase version of this car. I've only ever seen it as a cop car when I've been back home in North America and they're pretty low spec for the piggies budget.
Here in Australia the equivalent to yours is the WM Holden Statesmen or Caprice. Those cars were quite luxurious for GM at the time, more like the Buick Park Avenue and come loaded with features including rearview camera.
I'd look to see if there's anyone selling a rearview camera system (and media unit?) compatible for a buick park avenue on north american ebay type sites?

prktkljokr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega, W204 Mercedes C180 coupe
I have the camera from the boot lid of a 2012 VE SV6 here, not sure if the wire to plug it in is in the boot harness, you may just need the camera and the head unit programed to accept it ?

Its just held in with clips to the boot lid and the chrome mould above the number plate goes over the top of it, if you can use it pm me

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
that looks like the IQ headunit i thought you were able to plug a camera into that unit if Tasmaniak reads this he will know more than me and may be able to help you

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
I have the camera from the boot lid of a 2012 VE SV6 here, not sure if the wire to plug it in is in the boot harness, you may just need the camera and the head unit programed to accept it ?

Its just held in with clips to the boot lid and the chrome mould above the number plate goes over the top of it, if you can use it pm me

If you get a simple plug and play solution could you post it up because I'd love to do this to my car. :-D

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
My series 1.5 (MY2011) VE SV6 had factory optioned reverse camera in the rear vision mirror. When in reverse a square screen would appear in the left hand side of the mirror. The great thing about this set up is that you can look at the reverse camera and the rear vision mirror (internal one above the windscreen) at the same time, rather than having to move your eyes from mirror to the dash IQ screen. If I were you I'd try to source one of these (ebay?). It was a $468.00 option when the car was new.

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
My series 1.5 (MY2011) VE SV6 had factory optioned reverse camera in the rear vision mirror. When in reverse a square screen would appear in the left hand side of the mirror. The great thing about this set up is that you can look at the reverse camera and the rear vision mirror (internal one above the windscreen) at the same time, rather than having to move your eyes from mirror to the dash IQ screen. If I were you I'd try to source one of these (ebay?). It was a $468.00 option when the car was new.

I have a November 2010 SV6, would I be able to put that one in my car?

theking

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Caprice SS
Thanks for the warm welcomes dear friends.

I understand how some of you guys have the camera as a factory option, luck you.
I hope someone here gives in on what they did or their way and method of installing this important features.

Until then, I'll think about getting the clip on. And I'll be sure to post about my experience.