Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad Christmas prezzy.

keith hannaford

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss creewman 2004 5.7
My vy ss crewman started to become a little bit
Noisy in the ls1. Called in to a mechanics and
He said the motor was cactus, number 6 piston was noisy, He mentioned a rebuild. Not sure of many options ? Keith. Bundaberg.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the bore is not damaged you might get away with a SH piston and rings. Still a lot of work to replace one piston. Probably easier to swap the engine.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If the bore is not damaged you might get away with a SH piston and rings. Still a lot of work to replace one piston. Probably easier to swap the engine.
If the piston and rings are gone in that cylinder it stands to reason that the bore isn’t much good either, agree it’s easier just to get a good condition engine and swap it in

keith hannaford

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss creewman 2004 5.7

Ok thanks mate.
Any ideas to get
A replacement motor. Hard to get
Any v8 motors here in Bundaberg.

keith hannaford

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss creewman 2004 5.7
If the piston and rings are gone in that cylinder it stands to reason that the bore isn’t much good either, agree it’s easier just to get a good condition engine and swap it in
Ok thanks for your reply

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Could be something as simple as a noisy/damaged lifter or a bad valve spring etc.

Mechanics probably jumping to conclusions so he can charge unnessesary labour, get a second opinion. I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it on a borescope camera down the spark plug hole.

LS1's don't tend to have that kind of issue unless they've had a hard life.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Does highway 1 auto wreckers have any LS motors?......That's the wreckers as you come into Bundy on the main highway from Childers...
John Neeby used to own it, but not living there for over 25 years, ownership could have changed hands...