Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad Christmas prezzy.

keith hannaford

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss creewman 2004 5.7
As quick as they come in
There gone.
Not much choice in Bundy.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
My vy ss crewman started to become a little bit
Noisy in the ls1. Called in to a mechanics and
He said the motor was cactus, number 6 piston was noisy, He mentioned a rebuild. Not sure of many options ? Keith. Bundaberg.

While you have not said how the mechanic cam up with "... the motor is cactus" was this his professional opinion, LMFAO?

What proof does he have? Was it the actual piston, rings, lifter, valve spring, valve, injector, spark plug or was rod knock... how about a broken header/exhaust will make it sound as "noisy"?

If you can, go elsewhere for a second opinion to someone you trust and get the result in writing, what the F is exact problem.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Get a comp test

Run some engine oil flush and change the oil

The noise could be fixed wirh a engine oil flush, new valve spring or lifter

If the comp tesr is good pull the rocker cover and have a look

It might cost $80 to fix, flush and new oil, or a valve spring, or it might be a lifter which is a head off job.

More investigation into what is "actually" cactus

Finding a good wrecker LS nowdays is getting tricky, finding a good cheap runner is impossible

It is getting to the point that getting a basic rebuild is the cheap and easy option

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Get a comp test

Run some engine oil flush and change the oil

The noise could be fixed wirh a engine oil flush, new valve spring or lifter

If the comp tesr is good pull the rocker cover and have a look

It might cost $80 to fix, flush and new oil, or a valve spring, or it might be a lifter which is a head off job.

More investigation into what is "actually" cactus

Finding a good wrecker LS nowdays is getting tricky, finding a good cheap runner is impossible

It is getting to the point that getting a basic rebuild is the cheap and easy option

Good cheap runners are still easy to find, location dependant....The same applies to wreckers that supply them...

The closest place I can think of that has a better selection of wreckers is a good 300K one way trip, which does make things extremely difficult if he has to go down that path

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Haven't read much about broken rods, pistons or rings in LS, apart from poor tolerances. What I have read a bit about is lifter problems and damaged cams as a result.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Golden rule for vehicle ownership, If you believe what a mechanic tells you without any proof to back it up. Your destined to be parting with a lot of money over your lifetime.

A mechanic will tell you it's worst case senario, because worst case senario pays more.

I'm still putting my money on it being something valve train related which would be a cheap and relatively cost effective fix.

7769baby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais L67
Does highway 1 auto wreckers have any LS motors?......That's the wreckers as you come into Bundy on the main highway from Childers...
John Neeby used to own it, but not living there for over 25 years, ownership could have changed hands...
Highway 1 here in Bundy is now know as Highway Robbery. .