Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ball joint?

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
how can i get the tapered shaft out of the hub thingo!

I've gotten one side out, by hitting the side/top with a hammer, then hitting the threaded section on top with a piece of wood/hammer,

but the other side of the car, I can't get it apart!!!

any methods people have used?

supercheap auto had nothing I could use for this.

thanks!

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
had to do this today on a hilux. get a big hammer(mini sledge hammer), dont hit the tapered part but more the bit the tapered part is pressed into.. for example i had to remove the upper ball joints from the hilux. but i didnt actually hit the tapered part of the ball joint. i hit the control arm where the taper goes into. came out pretty easy with a few big hits.

hope that makes sense. sounds weird but it works

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
had to do this today on a hilux. get a big hammer(mini sledge hammer), dont hit the tapered part but more the bit the tapered part is pressed into.. for example i had to remove the upper ball joints from the hilux. but i didnt actually hit the tapered part of the ball joint. i hit the control arm where the taper goes into. came out pretty easy with a few big hits.

hope that makes sense. sounds weird but it works

thats exactly what I have been doing, and it worked pretty well on one side, but not the other.

the problem is, that the joint is located such that you can't get a decent hit in there, I've belted the poop out of it using a normal hammer, put quite a few dents in the housing doing so, but it still wont come out.

I found a website that said to hit both sides of the thing at once, but I can't get to both sides of it! going to try that today anyway

I've tried cooling it, heating it, swearing at it... it just doesn't work!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Put a long bar like a piece of pipe over the top of the control arm and under the cross member and lever down while you hit the taper on the strut. Put a fair bit of pressure on it and it will come out.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Ya working on your VL aye:dance:

Ive just checked my repair manual and it says to use a special tool to remove the ball joints.

There's other info in the repair manual to which is new, news to me.

Says that:
Whenever a ball joint has been removed from the control arm the service replacement .2032mm (.008 in.) oversize assembly must be fitted.

For identification purposes, a grove is machined in the larger diameter of the housing. If it is necessary to replace the ball joint a second time a new control arm with factory installed ball joint must be used.

Ref was:
Page 89 of Max Ellery's Factory Workshop Manual 1986 - 1988 Commodore VL.

Best of luck:)

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
Put a long bar like a piece of pipe over the top of the control arm and under the cross member and lever down while you hit the taper on the strut. Put a fair bit of pressure on it and it will come out.

do you mean levering the joint apart?

I even tried forcing the taper out using a car jack, a socket, a socket extension, by bolting the jack to the bottom spring seat (there's a hole in it right above the ball joint) :whistling

I tried locking two nuts together on the thread, and twisting it to break the taper lock...

I will try your method when I get off my butt :D

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
Ya working on your VL aye:dance:

do I have a choice?

pedders told me all the bushes were worn, which I think was a lie, but anyway.

Removing/Breaking Ball-Joint Taper - Truveo Video Search

I love "special removal tools"

so, the manual says, if you remove the ball joint taper, you also have to remove the WHOLE BALL JOINT and replace the whole thing with a bigger one!?!? WTF MAN!

screw that! haha

edit: my bad, its the BALL JOINT, that needs replacing if removed, not the taper :)

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
BUY A BALL JOINT REMOVER. they're pretty cheap

do not just belt the thing, you will damage stuff!

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
BUY A BALL JOINT REMOVER. they're pretty cheap

do not just belt the thing, you will damage stuff!

there is no ball joint remover that will work in this location

don't you think I may have already looked into this?

anyway, I gave up, put the car back together, I now have a nolethane passenger side, and a stock, worn out rubber drivers side... :whistling

might take it to pedders, ask them to pop it, put it back together, give em 50 bucks or something...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
there is no ball joint remover that will work in this location

don't you think I may have already looked into this?

anyway, I gave up, put the car back together, I now have a nolethane passenger side, and a stock, worn out rubber drivers side... :whistling

might take it to pedders, ask them to pop it, put it back together, give em 50 bucks or something...

Never needed any special ball joint remover yet. Sometimes in very difficult to get to situations I have used two ball pein hammers. I place one on the knuckle at precisely 90 deg to the shaft and use the second hammer to hit it. Don't be shy - hit it hard. Usually 2 - 3 hits and it is out. Getting the force perpendicular to the shaft is king.

Reaper