Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ball joint?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
do you mean levering the joint apart?

Yes, you may need a helper to apply downward force on the pipe as you hit the taper.

I have never been a fan of ball joint removers, they have a habit of destroying the thread on the ball joint. Even the fork type removers destroy the rubber boot.

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
Yes, you may need a helper to apply downward force on the pipe as you hit the taper.

I have never been a fan of ball joint removers, they have a habit of destroying the thread on the ball joint. Even the fork type removers destroy the rubber boot.

i put an 18inch breaker bar in the gap, and levered it upwards (this has the same effect as pushing down :p)

I jacked the end of the breaker bar up using a scissor jack, harder up than I could ever lift it.

I hammered, and hammered, and nothing moved...

hmm..

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
I would be spraying some wd-40 or some rost off/sonax in the joint and lettingit soak for a min or too and SMACK THE HELL OUUTA IT. never had a ball joint that i couldnt get out using the above method.. doing them every second day too :D:D:D:D

If you can get in the use a big steel drift and hit it with that to transfer the shock to the joint.....

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
I would be spraying some wd-40 or some rost off/sonax in the joint and lettingit soak for a min or too and SMACK THE HELL OUUTA IT. never had a ball joint that i couldnt get out using the above method.. doing them every second day too :D:D:D:D

If you can get in the use a big steel drift and hit it with that to transfer the shock to the joint.....

please dont post while drunk, and the the joint was left soaking in WD40 overnight.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Wasnt drunk but was a bit high on Ribena :yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

Just a thought to try if you havent already but anyway keep smacking it

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I don't know where you put the lever, but lifting up won't do anything.

Actually, where I originally said to put the lever is not correct. Looking at the car you should have seen that. You put it over the top of the Z bar and under the control arm right where the inner bush is and lever down. You will need a longer lever than 18" to get enough downward pressure.

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
i was levering it apart. Whether i was pushing up or down, it was still applying force to seperate the two pieces.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol, just take it somewhere and get them to do it...would have been done by now if you did that :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i had this problem on the VN, tried everything mentioned with no luck, in the end i stripped the entire strut/ control arm out and then got the grinder out and cut straight through the balljoint. that got the bastard apart:D

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
i was levering it apart. Whether i was pushing up or down, it was still applying force to seperate the two pieces.

But pushing it up would apply force to the joint which wouldnt help you one bit it would make it worse....