Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ball joint?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'm still trying to work out where the lever can be placed so that you pull it up to put separating pressure on the taper.

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
I'm still trying to work out where the lever can be placed so that you pull it up to put separating pressure on the taper.

between the bottom of the strut, and the control arm.

there's a gap there, which a normal breaker bar fits through nicely, as you lift the breaker bar, you're forcing the two pieces apart.

I was not applying upward force to the ball joint, I was applying downward force to the ball joint, and upward force to the strut.

you guys get the whole concept of a "lever" dont you? :) :thumbsup:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The problem with that is that there isn't enough opposing force leverage. You are applying diagonal force which is probably only equivalent to about 1/3 of the actual force applied to the lever. Not enough.

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
The problem with that is that there isn't enough opposing force leverage. You are applying diagonal force which is probably only equivalent to about 1/3 of the actual force applied to the lever. Not enough.

no, trust me, it wasn't.

anyway, I paid someone to get it apart, they said it wasn't too difficult, but wasn't as easy as they normally are...

I've now replaced all the bushes in the front end of the VL.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Good to see you got it sorted. I bet it drives better now.