Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ban those old cars!!!!!

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
nsw annual rego inspections on light vehicles /motorcycles from 5 years old makes it hard to prove they are unsafe only thing i can see to get older vehicles off the road if they introduce emissions test

NSW is the last state to even have yearly inspections, and there's a lot of political pressure to abolish them altogether as all the other states have done. I really can't see them introducing additional inspections.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
NSW is the last state to even have yearly inspections, and there's a lot of political pressure to abolish them altogether as all the other states have done. I really can't see them introducing additional inspections.

too much money to be made from these, i'm surprised it hasn't gone the other way.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
But it's not the government that gets the money for the inspections, it's all done by privately owned "Authorised Inspection Stations".

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
But it's not the government that gets the money for the inspections, it's all done by privately owned "Authorised Inspection Stations".

yeah but someone is making money.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

I don't mind paying $40 per year for a mech inspection, which is what my mech does. Checks brake pad wear, and suspension/steering movement.
The pissant defects like a torn seat, minor dents and hail damage, (Victoria police defects ? ) are the PITA.
Perhaps a (no charge) yearly license and driving ability inspection could be a good idea.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
When money changes hands, the government makes 10% on the transaction. This is true for most things , with some exceptions, but sadly the LNP still has an ideological drive to see this tax‘s reach increased to include everything (food, medicines, etc)... It’s called GST

Being that inspections are a service that attracts this 10% tax, NSW makes money from it.. And the money they make is more than 10% since it moves through around the economy and suffers GST along the way.

I‘m surprised yearly road-worthies haven’t been initiated in all states, under the guise of protecting the children... :eek:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The pissant defects like a torn seat, minor dents and hail damage, (Victoria police defects ? ) are the PITA.
Don't understand how hail damage on panels can even be considered a safety defect. Broken windscreens, lights and the such, yes I can understand, but a nice pattern of dings?

Surely crumple zones and crash protection performance can’t be compromised by a bunch of little itty bitty dings. I doubt such can be compromised by dings so suspect we have a more serious problem than hail... and it’s called government greed...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I don't mind paying $40 per year for a mech inspection, which is what my mech does. Checks brake pad wear, and suspension/steering movement.
Perhaps a (no charge) yearly license and driving ability inspection could be a good idea.

The only minor dents VicPol will get you for, are dents in the A pillar, which I'm pretty sure is the same in all states.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
mechanic has got to be licence and the pay a fee to the RMS but good thing is government extended from 28 days to 6 months before your rego expires to have the vehicle inspected

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I don't watch Highway Patrol / RBT or the other Australian Police reality TV shows on a regular basis, but I do remember a few where Vic Police have pulled a car over and defected them for some ridiculous minor scratch/dent or similar. Unfortunately, I can't back that up with specifics.

Personally, I have had one of my cars roadworthy rejected for having worn tyres.
When shown an identical, brand new tyre that was equally 'worn' the inspector was still 'right', :( but signed the roadworthy cert as being OK.