Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

basic water injection non boosted

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
what youre doing is significantly dropping the wattage able to be drawn on that circuit, which means your injector wont be getting the same amount of "oomph" as the rest.

i mean i may be totally wrong, but in my mind, by reducing the current to that injector, youre basically making is Ms-response time far higher than the others, which will be making that cylinder run leaner, simply because the solenoid isnt getting saturated with enough wattage to pull it open. it may not be noticable at idle, but at higher RPM i daresay youll start getting some dodgie O2 readings on that bank, and thus, negating any positive results from the water injection.

if you wrap a wire around a spark plug lead, it can be used as an effective "inductance coil" (similar to your timing light) the current passing along the spark plug lead through the coil generates an electromagnet field which can then be used to trigger the injector. i know youre not really interested in the idea, so i wont bother making a circuit diagram.

where this idea falls down though is the fact that its just an on/off pulse signal, and is not controllable like the Ms-response your injectors are undergoing. itll just mean that injector#7 squirts when sparkplug 1 fires. the amount of time it squirts is anyones guess. but again, it can be measured out simply by looking at the amount of water used vs fuel and adjusting the water pressure to the injector accordingly.

but whatevs. im sure your way will be fine.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
so what your saying is atm my current varies but the voltage stays the same? i'm not too worried as long as the voltage stays constant as it seems to be running fine.

ok, say:
original 1 injector is 12ohm, voltage is 12v its sucking 1amp
new add just that 5.6ohm resistor, you already drawing 2.14amps before you get to your 2 parallel injectors. your parallel injectors will draw 6.25amps

so your now drawing 8.4amps which is designed for drawing 1amp, somethings gonna have a bad time..

PS: i believe my maths is correct, please correct me

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
here is a volts offsets VS Kpa chart off an LS1. now although technically youre not changing volts, youre adding to the wattage drawn actross the wire, by adding watts youre increasing heat, which in itself creates additional resistance. which adds to loss:
176098d1416541683-basic-water-injection-non-boosted-voltsoffsets.jpg

note: its viatally important to get your Mv offset table set up right in your tune, as it alters the speed at which your injectors open and close. at normal 14.7 volts your injectors can respond at around 0.6Ms, but at 9V they may drop right down to 1.1Ms, so thats what this offset table is for. you can see at 80kpa and 14.5v we have an offset of 0.473 whereas at 9V is 1.5106. which means that if youre ecu reads 9v, itll keep the injector open 3 times longer than if its reading 14.5V

problem with that is: the ecu wont know there is a voltage drop on injector #1, and even if it did, there is no way to adjust just 1 injector.

by sticking additional load on the injector, you have no way of knowing when its closing, and therby affecting your tune.

voltsoffsets.jpg

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I wasted half an hour of my life trying to find a suitable mime. But simply following of ohms law and ignoring the other half may require a couple shots o this Lucas product
smokekit2.jpeg

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Non filtered as well. Very interesting thread. What kind of difference in fuel usage are you seeing Taz? My missus has a frontera which has similar engine to yours.

TheVsStig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 97 wagon
if anyone can say here do it this way its better, i'm all ears. i never wanted to run it directly of the load supplied to injector one, but i put several posts asking for a better way to do this and no one could answer it. so what could i do, i've tested it and the cars runs fine sounds fine up high and doesn't throw fault codes. the circuit still maintains the same voltage and resistance so i didnt see a problem. as i said though if someone can say here run the injector like this it's better i will do it that way.

from what i here the injectors are stainless, so a mixture of water/meth should be fine or even just water. it has been done before, and as far as i know has worked without fault. also i was going to use a filter.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
fk man. how many different ways do i need to suggest????

you have at your disposal:

sticking in ported vac (like tas has done and is willing to demonstrate results)
stick in the air stream (as i did and vouch by my results, but have no hard proof)
stick an inductive coil on spark plug lead #1 as a trigger
stick on DFI module 1 as a trigger

i havnt even looked at the links provided but im sure they all offer at least 1-5 more otions.

you seem to think we're just sitting here debunking your ideas when really we're actually trying to help you by offering our opinions.... take it as you wish, but ignoring them just makes you seem ignorant.

TheVsStig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 97 wagon
fk man. how many different ways do i need to suggest????

you have at your disposal:

sticking in ported vac (like tas has done and is willing to demonstrate results)
stick in the air stream (as i did and vouch by my results, but have no hard proof)
stick an inductive coil on spark plug lead #1 as a trigger
stick on DFI module 1 as a trigger

i havnt even looked at the links provided but im sure they all offer at least 1-5 more otions.

you seem to think we're just sitting here debunking your ideas when really we're actually trying to help you by offering our opinions.... take it as you wish, but ignoring them just makes you seem ignorant.

how many times did i say the whole vac thing dosent work for me and i want something more controlled than that. how many times did i ask how to join to the dfi module with no answer. and now you mention the spark plug lead and still offer no explanation how to do it.

other than vacuum style, which i have repetitively said doesn't work. no one has suggested a way to control an injector electronically as i have said i wanted to do for some time now. so as i said if your willing to explain a better way to do it, then by all means scribble a diagram down and i will do it that way. honestly i would appreciate the help.