Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

battery light will not F**K OFF tried everything

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
hi i have a vr s2 auto, problem is the battery light keeps coming on, ive taken the positive lead off the battery while the car is running to see if the alternator is charging, but it isnt happening all the time, tell you the series of events

first off with my first alternator i had, got to a mates place after 10 mins drive one day and the alternator was screaming off its head, no alternator light, changed the alternator to a spare i had off a vr and thats when the battery light started coming on, so i changed to a vn s1 alternator (as i had to, to fit the twin throttles i put on) and the battery light keeps coming on and off, so i changed the wiring loom from the alternator to the battery and the main 60 amp fuse the other night, and its still coming on, ive tried different black boxs on the top of the alternator and everything, IT STILL WANTS TO COME ON, and i dont really wanna pay a autoelectrician money, as they will say they cant find it for 10 hours and theres $1000, any ideas guys? any 1 else had this problem?

Uber_Flacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 ltr Ute
test with a multimeter and see what voltage your getting

Veriton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VZ
hi i have a vr s2 auto, problem is the battery light keeps coming on, ive taken the positive lead off the battery while the car is running to see if the alternator is charging, but it isnt happening all the time, tell you the series of events
*slaps forehead* Well that stuffed that alternator... NEVER take the positive or negative lead off the battery while the car is running... you blow diodes in the alternator doing that...

As for the light, the regulator controls the light, if you disconnect it, does it go away? If not, then check the harness for shorts to earth causing the light to illuminate.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
lol... well if it started coming on when you changed the alternator, chances are its the regulator itself, they are a common problem with charge lights coming on, $60 to fix the problem if you havent stuffed the alternator already

fkford

Love The Beast!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec S2
easiest way.. sticky tape over the light :)

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
yea the sticky tape is a good idea but the problem being the battery aint charging

also i have changed alternators since the light has been coming on, alternator is not stuffed as it would not charge at all period,

and yes the battery light disapears when disconnecting the regulator

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
thats cos the regulator completes and controls the charge light circuit... have you replaced the inline fusible link at the battery terminal?

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
thats cos the regulator completes and controls the charge light circuit... have you replaced the inline fusible link at the battery terminal?

did not know there was a fuse there? what wire does it come off (colour code pref) i will have a look

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
all fixed, there was no 'fuse in there, it was the regulator box on the top, when i used the regulator box from the s1 alternator on the s2 alternator it stuffed it, all good now