Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Vent

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Pop down to the pet shop, buy a gold fish and a 5mm elbow and some tube. Or Bunnings and you can get a crap sausage too.

Which tastes better, goldfish or crap sausage?:p

MRVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
I spoke to my mechanic today and he said u dont have to have a vent cause most new batterys are sealed and not like the old ones where they had screw caps on top and acid would come out. I had a look at my ve sv6 wagon tonight it don't have one although the grommet was there and my acdelco battery had both holes. Why wasn't it fitted from factory if this is so important????

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I spoke to my mechanic today and he said u dont have to have a vent cause most new batterys are sealed and not like the old ones where they had screw caps on top and acid would come out. I had a look at my ve sv6 wagon tonight it don't have one although the grommet was there and my acdelco battery had both holes. Why wasn't it fitted from factory if this is so important????

Your mechanic is incorrect, and it is important to vent the battery, especially in a VE/VF.
The smart charging system pumps the voltage back to the battery after starting, and the battery will gas.
And because VE/VF sedans, wagons and utes all have the battery mounted within the passenger cabin, it need to vent externally.
I've seen pics of a week old SS ute, that had a kink in the vent tube, and the battery burst from the pressure build up.
The ute was written off.

MRVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
If the battery has 2 vent holes why did holden only supply with only the one or did they use a T piece originally into the one hole in the cars body.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
One hole capped.
Single tube.
My solution is vent both holes and fix up the poor condition of the tube for $10

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
If the battery has 2 vent holes why did holden only supply with only the one or did they use a T piece originally into the one hole in the cars body.

When new both vents should be plugged,you take the plug out of the end that is vented by the factory for that model.Dual purpose battery depending on how its mounted.