Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Beached Az VS ute LS1 T56

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
update time.

i was at work on friday and had to pull out this turbo timer that was stuck on 3 min as the driver wanted one that went to 5 minutes. so i scored a practically new turbo timer thats stuck on 3 mins ( fine by me ) looked it up on the net and its a multi voltage 12/24 for electronic engines meaning it will work

2013-03-22_12-03-50_208_zps3634df6f.jpg

then i was thinking of where to mount it. still havent decided. but here was a quick mock i did on an old gauge surround. youll also see my new gauges the one on the right is wideband 02 and the left one is oil temp and pressure.

2013-03-22_21-22-38_176_zps7061f457.jpg

and im having a bit of trouble working out what to do with the map sensor the ls1 style goes at the back of the manifold and is held in with a clip whereas the ls3 style one goes on the front and has a bigger hole and uses a bolt to secure it. they also use different plugs. but the problem with running the ls3 sensor is the scaling its fine for na you can recalibrate the scale with hp tuners but to run it with boost you need to go into minus numbers to have it calibrated properly and hp tuners doesnt allow the use of minus numbers in the ls1 ecu. so ive got a few ideas on what i can do to make it work. get a small piece of tubing and slip it over the end of the ls1 sensor and make a little bracket to hold it down.

2013-03-23_11-43-53_405_zps464da724.jpg

2013-03-23_11-43-35_99_zps6f9bdfb3.jpg

here is one somebody in the states has tried.

7a5c5ab4.jpg

a5ee5e20.jpg

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
well i got the engine home and ive realised my ls2 style pump wont work with my other accesories. unless its spaced out. so for now the ls1 pump will make its way onto the engine as i only bought the other due to its look.

at the time of getting the engine home i had no engine crane. so i actually made a makeshift hoist out of a 2.5tonne ratchet strap and the roof rafters in the garage haha.

the next problem that i encountered was that with an lq9 ( the block i have) they mounted the alternator up high and as such dont have the holes for the alternator on the lower side of the engine block. so i had to drill and tap them. nothing exciting but nonetheless a step closer to getting it back together.

next thing i got onto was the oil pressure sensor for the new gauge that ive bought. had to get a few adapters to make it fit into place but here is the finished product.

here is the drivers side manifold mounted up. ive got a bit to finish before i put the passengers side on and have it ready for the install.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
You're crazy, I love it.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
thanks hoz but i dont think im that crazy, many would agree with you though

ps last picture. "hammer is never far away"

Nothing is overly pretty or fancy, But it's all perfectly clean & being done for a reason and you just know it'll work.

P.s- I keep a mallet near my bmw as well when working on it. Just to invoke fear haha

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
I love that you're taking the build slow and steady but at the same time I want you to hurry up and finish it because I wanna see it finished!
Its always good to see updates on this build Haydz, awesome work as always :)

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
i really hope its all worth it in the end and im smiling.

ive got a few more progress pics to post up today.

late one saturday afternoon i got the engine in the bay. and just mounted it up.

because as i was installing the flywheel one of the arp bolts decided it didnt want to live anymore and destroyed itself. so i had to order a new set of flywheel bolts which came the following week

i then proceeded to install the exhaust manifold. turbo and dump pipe

and ive run all new teflon lines from the back to the front -10 feed and -8 return so i wont have any issues running out of fuel.
purchased a new aeroflow 92mm throttle body

this is just a pic showing the way the exhaust comes thru the guard. from what ive heard/read im best to make the part straight out of the turbo as big as possible. then taper down to a more usable size as i can only fit 3" past the wheel if i want to keep full lock right which i do.

and this one shows the screamer pipe. dont mind the oil everywhere thats from when the last engine gave up on living

also got some aeroflow polished fuel rails to fit ls3 and lots of other fittings which you dont care about haha. and my id1000 injectors are on their way. should be about 2-3 weeks from america. gives me time to sort everything else out ready

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/haydass/media/IMG_20130530_171112_522_zpse3bf65ec.jpg.html]