Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bedding in VR disc brakes problem

kswenson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Executive
The pedal goes about 3/4s of the way down. There's no soft feel at all. The pedal just feels loose until it gets firm them I have to apply pressure. A lot more pressure than my wife's VT.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
It took a run from Newcastle to Sydney and back to bed my pads in. Next pad change I am going to get the brake system pressure flushed.
The brake system on a VT would be more responive than a VR.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
The pedal goes about 3/4s of the way down.
probably just needs a bleed by the sound of that may as well just fill it with new fluid and keep bleeding till its clean fluid coming out the bleeders while your at it

kswenson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Executive
Hi again James. There's no doubt the VT brakes are far more superior than VR-VS. There's no comparison really. I never thought it would take this long to get the brakes to bed in. Driving to work and back the last two days has been a worry because if the car in front stops suddenly i'm not gonna have a chance of pulling up in time. It is a worry. I suppose if you just do fronts or rears at a time you you don't notice it so much. I will just take it easy driving to work for the rest of the week and try and bed them in, and if there's no improvement I'll try a different brand of pad. (God, I hope the road's aren't wet!). I'll look at changing the fluid as well. Certainly can't do any harm, though I don't know if there's any difference in stopping power.

Last edited:

kswenson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Executive
Thanks delcowizid. I think that's the way I'll do it. Though I assume I will have to bleed all four calipers so all the fluid in each line gets pumped out.

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yip start at passenger rear bleeder the drivers rear then passenger front then drivers front

kswenson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Executive
Thanks mate. What you are describing is oviously the furthest from the master cylinder first. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advise. I'll do it on the weekend. Thanks again.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
As above, flush the fluid as this should be done every two years. Im not sure how much this will help your problem though.

The VT brakes would feel better as they have a double diaphram booster to allow for the larger bore master cylinder.

May be worth giving the pads one more good scuffing and reinstall them. If you have no luck with that, replace them.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the brake fliud is that old,then definitely change it,otherwise you will end up with seized calipers.My VS had seized up rear calipers when I first bought it.The brake fluid had not been changed for years.Four new calipers later,and I now change the brake fluid every 12 months.Also if your brake pedal "feel" is firm when its pressed,and not going to far down near the floor when the cars running,then the problem will not be to do with the fluid,but more to do with the pads.Id give it another 100k's (after changing that fluid) with some more heavy stopping.If theres no difference after that,then Id look at fitting some different brand pads.

Last edited:

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Whats the pedal travel like on a normal Commodore with standard discs etc?
Ive just gone through a similar excercise changing all four brake pads and two new front rotors.

I seem to have a longer pedal travel than my other car, although I cant really compare the two because of differing brake systems etc.