Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Berlina 2011 blowing smoke

Leroy2480

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina 2011 s2
I recently purchased this Berlina running rough and blowing smoke. The owner told me they had put bad fuel in it, and it would probably need new injectors. I had a mechanic diagnose it and he said the timing chains was the problem. He did the chains and put new injectors, and now its running smooth, but still blowing smoke.
He seems to think the rings or stem seals may be the problem now.
Just wanting some other opinions, should I continue trying to fix it or should I just put another motor in it? Thanks in advance.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Blue. So is it worth fixing or just get new motor?
Only you can answer that question
You have already thrown money at it, and the mechanic is either dodgy or dopey not to know blue smoke is as above.
So do you have the funds to go further with it, or even buy something else with the fact in mind you may be buying even more problems.
Freinds recently fitted a recoed engine to a land cruiser at a cost of $25000 and are still having problems with it.
Cars are a money pit and the only time I ever trusted mechanics, it cost me perfectly good cars and thousands of dollars.
If it is not blowing badly keep driving it.
It may also be the pcv valve needs work (easy fix) because the engine is not breathing correctly, and there is/are posts on here on how to do that.
Personally if you cannot do the work yourself, I would suggest trying to find another mechanic, but in all honesty, good luck with that search.

Leroy2480

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina 2011 s2
Only you can answer that question
You have already thrown money at it, and the mechanic is either dodgy or dopey not to know blue smoke is as above.
So do you have the funds to go further with it, or even buy something else with the fact in mind you may be buying even more problems.
Freinds recently fitted a recoed engine to a land cruiser at a cost of $25000 and are still having problems with it.
Cars are a money pit and the only time I ever trusted mechanics, it cost me perfectly good cars and thousands of dollars.
If it is not blowing badly keep driving it.
It may also be the pcv valve needs work (easy fix) because the engine is not breathing correctly, and there is/are posts on here on how to do that.
Personally if you cannot do the work yourself, I would suggest trying to find another mechanic, but in all honesty, good luck with that search.
Thanks for your time. The mechanic has admitted he made a mistake with diagnosis and is not charging me anything. I guess my question is, how much would another motor cost to buy and fit in?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks for your time. The mechanic has admitted he made a mistake with diagnosis and is not charging me anything. I guess my question is, how much would another motor cost to buy and fit in?
OK that is a different tilt on the question.
Reco engines can be bought from Ripco and others so ring around and ask the question as to cost.
You will find there are requirements with the reco engine, so you may also need possibly new radiator, maybe starter, water pump, exhaust gaskets etc as I don't know what comes with them these days, and they are exchange usually so a deposit will be required until the old engine is returned, and of course there will be coolant/oil etc and mechanics costs.
Personally I would look at the pcv first, nothing to lose, but you also have to question how many k's are on the present engine, or has it not been serviced on a regular basis? been thrashed maybe.
If the mechanic did the chains then he should have a good idea as to whether it has been serviced regularly or not.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
2011 Berlina, buy a low km motor from a VF and put it in.
The wreckers have heaps of them and they fit fine once you swap all your gear onto it.
Recon not worth the money and you can still buy brand new engines anyway.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
do a wet compression test and a leakdown test
your mechanic should know this
unless he is a mate who thinks he is a mechanic, because he bought a haynes manual

Leroy2480

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina 2011 s2
OK that is a different tilt on the question.
Reco engines can be bought from Ripco and others so ring around and ask the question as to cost.
You will find there are requirements with the reco engine, so you may also need possibly new radiator, maybe starter, water pump, exhaust gaskets etc as I don't know what comes with them these days, and they are exchange usually so a deposit will be required until the old engine is returned, and of course there will be coolant/oil etc and mechanics costs.
Personally I would look at the pcv first, nothing to lose, but you also have to question how many k's are on the present engine, or has it not been serviced on a regular basis? been thrashed maybe.
If the mechanic did the chains then he should have a good idea as to whether it has been serviced regularly or not.
220kms on the clock. The mechanic thought the motor looked to be in good shape. Car had been serviced regularly.
I don't know what the previous owner meant about bad fuel‍♂️they could have put diesel in it for all I know.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
220kms on the clock. The mechanic thought the motor looked to be in good shape. Car had been serviced regularly.
I don't know what the previous owner meant about bad fuel‍♂️they could have put diesel in it for all I know.
Previous owner said what he had to say to move the vehicle on - or basically he lied to you and you believed him.

Sorry but sometimes the truth is difficult to swallow but basically next time you buy a car get it inspected PRIOR to handing over any cash.