Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Berlina 2011 s2 start up noise and smoke on acceleration

Leroy2480

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina 2011 s2
Berlina 2011 s2 tia
Hi, I am no Mechanic so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I have had to deal with some dodgy Mechanics and am left scratching my head.
I presented the first Mechanic with my car, explaining its blowing a lot of blue smoke and running rough. To my surprise the Mechanic said its timing chains, so he did the chain, then the injectors. This didn't fix the problem, and they just left me with the car the same. They left many bolts etc half screwed in, plugs not on properly etc. They didn't charge me for chains or labour but want the injectors paid for. They agreed they misdiagnosed. So I took it to another mechanic, he thought it was to do with censors or something I didn't understand, but he couldn't work it out either. After the 1st Mechanic finished with it, I noticed every time I start it in the morning, it makes a rattling chain sound, then if I turn off and start again it wont do it. Only when its cold.
Its now idling nice, running nice, not blowing smoke in idle, but is blowing quite a lot when you put your foot down. I attatched the last code errors reading from Mechanics. I guess what Im wanting to know is where to go from here, if this motor is worth spending more time and money on. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
How many kilometres has the car done?
Do you have a full record of proper servicing using correct oils etc.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Berlina 2011 s2 tia
Hi, I am no Mechanic so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I have had to deal with some dodgy Mechanics and am left scratching my head.
I presented the first Mechanic with my car, explaining its blowing a lot of blue smoke and running rough. To my surprise the Mechanic said its timing chains, so he did the chain, then the injectors. This didn't fix the problem, and they just left me with the car the same. They left many bolts etc half screwed in, plugs not on properly etc. They didn't charge me for chains or labour but want the injectors paid for. They agreed they misdiagnosed. So I took it to another mechanic, he thought it was to do with censors or something I didn't understand, but he couldn't work it out either. After the 1st Mechanic finished with it, I noticed every time I start it in the morning, it makes a rattling chain sound, then if I turn off and start again it wont do it. Only when its cold.
Its now idling nice, running nice, not blowing smoke in idle, but is blowing quite a lot when you put your foot down. I attatched the last code errors reading from Mechanics. I guess what Im wanting to know is where to go from here, if this motor is worth spending more time and money on. Thanks in advance for any help.
When you put your foot down what colour is the smoke.
As mentioned in your other post that I have linked above
blue smoke=oil
black smoke=fuel

Rattle could be chains or cam followers, (yes I note chains were replaced ??) as in where is the rattle, at front of engine (chains) or up high (rockers/cam followers).
Get someone to start it while you listen at the engine, and FWIW it is never a good idea to rev an engine straight from cold start up.
Let the oil get around it first like maybe idle for 60 seconds.

ps your attachment with codes didn't show.

Leroy2480

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina 2011 s2
How many kilometres has the car done?
Do you have a full record of proper servicing using correct oils etc.
212,000km and no dont have all records

Leroy2480

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina 2011 s2
blue smoke=oil
black smoke=fuel

Rattle could be chains or cam followers, (yes I note chains were replaced ??) as in where is the rattle, at front of engine (chains) or up high (rockers/cam followers).
Get someone to start it while you listen at the engine, and FWIW it is never a good idea to rev an engine straight from cold start up.

The smoke is blue, but the smoke seems to be getting less. I spoke to the last mechanic again and he was saying it could be possible oil in exaust, which could be why it only smokes whenits warm. Not sure tho. Not sure bout location of rattle as I don't have anyone to start it.
It seems to be running quite well.

Leroy2480

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina 2011 s2
blue smoke=oil
black smoke=fuel

Leroy2480

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina 2011 s2
Sorry I can't seem to upload pic but the codes are: PO137 and P2119

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Sorry I can't seem to upload pic but the codes are: PO137 and P2119
P0137 =https://www.carparts.com/blog/p0137-code-oxygen-sensor-circuit-low-voltage-bank-1-sensor-2/

P2119=https://www.obd-codes.com/p2119

P0137- I get that from time to time and just delete it because I really wonder if there is anything really wrong with the O2 sensor, and it has not raised it's ugly head for some months now.
Been getting it for about 6 years now and did replace the O2 sensor some 6 years ago and also have a new one sitting on the shelf should I really need it.

P2119, someone on here may be able to decipher that for you cause I don't know what that means.

Personally if it is blue smoke I would just keep driving it and keep checking oil level at the dip stick.

Stop worrying and enjoy the easter break ! if you are having one.
But by all means keep asking questions if you have more to ask.

Leroy2480

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina 2011 s2
P0137 =https://www.carparts.com/blog/p0137-code-oxygen-sensor-circuit-low-voltage-bank-1-sensor-2/

P2119=https://www.obd-codes.com/p2119

P0137- I get that from time to time and just delete it because I really wonder if there is anything really wrong with the O2 sensor, and it has not raised it's ugly head for some months now.
Been getting it for about 6 years now and did replace the O2 sensor some 6 years ago and also have a new one sitting on the shelf should I really need it.

P2119, someone on here may be able to decipher that for you cause I don't know what that means.

Personally if it is blue smoke I would just keep driving it and keep checking oil level at the dip stick.

Stop worrying and enjoy the easter break ! if you are having one.
But by all means keep asking questions if you have more to ask.
Thanks so much for your reply, I think I will take it for a spin. Haven't been able to drive it much coz unreg but **** it, Im taking it for a spin lol cheers