Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Audio system for a VT sedan?

DAVIDC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais International S/C
So basically I'm looking at upgrading my sound system, considering the car is a calais it came out with a very decent sound system (still all standard) and I don't mind it, gets me around for the time being, I do have a Alpine head unit that is in my Falcon wagon (soon to be wrecked) that has blue tooth, usb, aux, ipod etc that I was going to use in the calais and then have a basic sub+ amp to give me a bit more bass until I save up enough to upgrade the rest of my system.

I basically want to know whats a good + cheap sub and amp for the time being?
And what's an awesome system I should think about saving up for?
I was thinking along the lines of twin Type X 12 inch subs with a type x 4000 watt 4 channel amp, 4 type x 6 inch speakers (one for each door) + splits and 2 6x9's for the parcel shelf.
I'd also like a extra battery and that little thing that helps with the power (I'm very tired, can't think) :p

Any help or ideas would be appreciated : )

500VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore.
Hey Mate, If you go good quality you probably wont have to upgrade again, i know it's more money out of your pocket but once its's done, it's done. Unless you blow up a sub or something....

I just Bought 2 Option Audio Pro Series Subs (Carbon Fiber Cone) and a Option Audio Amp to run and a Capacitor. Cost a bit but they are awesome subs and friggen pump hard. :D

Amp has been Tuned by Option Audio in the States.

csimmo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec
Sound is a very personal thing, and unfortunately, looking at and hearing speakers in JB won't reflect what it will be like in the car. While some people like massive amounts of subs, I don't. I have a 12" removable in the boot. The best thing I personally think is a multifunction head unit, the little box to make sure your steering wheel controls work, a nice amp, and spend your money on some very nice splits for the front of the car!
I have the highest model of pioneer splits in the front, and with the amp, they produce amazing bass and high tones and can't notice any echo. I also got a Sony head unit with Bluetooth/usb and iPod support. There are better ones now (mine is 2.5years old). Got some basic pioneer's for the back doors (I have and exec), a kicker amp for the speakers, 350.4 I think. The sub has its own little 300w amp, but like a said, has been set up to be removable so can still have the boot space for the family trips.
I am sure there are guys here that have huge amounts of experience though and they would have tried many setups and can give you ideas, but since you like the Calais setup, thought I would tell you mine since I don’t consider it over the top.

Almost forgot - Sound proofing!! get lots, ebay solavis. I got sound dampening stuff and put it right through the car doors and roof, and a bit in the boot. Keeps the sound in the car, hold back a bit of the road noise and helps to prevent rattles

Last edited:

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
If you keen on Alpine check out my thread. You don't need the 6x9's and the type X subs aren't that good. You need stupidly big boxes and huge power to run them properly.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
It depends on about a million things. For instance having a huge amount of 543 bazillion inch subs in the boot with an amp rivaling the sun, isn't well suited to my Bon Jovi and Van Halen as it is to "fully hektic dub-step brah". You don't need subs *and* parcel shelf 9 times out of 10.

This: Car Audio
and
This: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/planning-system-budget.87216
The latter one in particular may help you out a bit.

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
Dude, Check specials at Autobarn etc, told you there are sub/amp/wiring packages for less then $200. That'll do for now. Then look at building your system up.. i'm doing the same with mine so i'll chat to ya wheni see you about what im looking at for the wagon

Paulid92

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VU SS Series 2 5.7 6sp manual
Dont buy cheap speakers. Simple. Pioneer ftw. Buy quality, get good results

DAVIDC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah a lot to think about guys, I think a $200 sub/amp/wiring kit would do me for now but when spending potentially thousands on speakers, subs and amps its nerve racking not knowing which is the better for cheaper and what not. And apprantly the Type X's arent as good?! that brings me back to square one :\
So what do you guys think about two 12 each subs or 1? the probblem again is I'm going to be getting rear airbags in the calais and hiding the compressor in the spare wheel arch, so I'll be needing access to that. making the sub boxes no that big, or maybe angled?

NSTG8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo R8 + VX Berlina 5.7
if space is going to be an issue, then go for a decent single 12" sub run off of a decent powered monoblock amp. Takes up less space, and will get more than loud enough! If you're going to go subs in the boot, forget 6x9s in the shelf, waste of time and money.....put that money towards the rest of the system

DAVIDC

Reaction score
Members Ride
if space is going to be an issue, then go for a decent single 12" sub run off of a decent powered monoblock amp. Takes up less space, and will get more than loud enough! If you're going to go subs in the boot, forget 6x9s in the shelf, waste of time and money.....put that money towards the rest of the system

What about the 6x9's already there? apparently they are bass speakers or some ****.