Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Carbbie for 355 Stroker

SLE Lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Hi guys
I have a VH SL/E 308 with a 355 stoker kit, warm cam, eddlebrock manifold, extractors and a few other bits and pieces. I rarely drive car as i live overseas but when im home like to go to club events and a weekend cruise. I currently have the original Quaddie Carb that has been re jetted (a while ago) but was looking to update to a holly 650.

Im sure this has been talked about before but just wanted some thoughts.

Does the holly require more regular tuning ?
Will it provide a noticeable power increase ?
Overall pros and cons ?

Thanks in advance

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
A good Quadrajet will give you all the performance you need in a road car, as long as its been tuned to your package & all in excellent working order. You don't say what the issues are with your car when you return to drive it??? I am in the same predicament, car in storage for 2 years now, when I'm back I just fired it up & drive it a round (once in the last 2 years). I did fully rebuild my carb $500, which fixed all issues before I left. Warped top, throttle bushes, choke pull off, plus some "special performance" modifications they did as well (it came back looking like a brand new carby). It starts, choke works, idles, drives, preforms, no sneezing nor farting when flooring it. I was thinking that I should go to a bolt on EFI aftermarket system, but for the $500.00 invested into the factory fitted Quaddie I'm more than happy.

SLE Lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Hi there, the car has no issues starts well everytime drives well im just trying to get some more performance out of her At the moment id say the car is making around 350 BHP at the fly approximately. I had the carbie rebuilt probably 6 years ago but within that time only done 2500 km on car. So maybe the first step is to get a good tune and a dyno run.

H

harrop.senator

Coming from the Pontiac World with 850 quaddies I can totally agree with lacksballs man a properly set up will give you everything you need on the streets. A lot of the poncho boys go the quikfuel Slayer series I don't really like the Holley's myself have had good luck with the Eddy vac secs as a good Street carb but aren't a quarter mile killer.

H

harrop.senator

If you want more power ditch the mild cam throw a carby spacer on it then look at an upgrade.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Another vote for the quaddy here. I've got a performer on mine, and I put a 1" spacer on it after driving it for a while. The spacer made an incredible difference. Some combos need it, some don't.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Tuned correctly the quaddie is as good if not better than other carbies...more people know how to play with simpler holley carb which is why they're popular.

Sounds like you want more power/faster which a carb change is unlikely to give meaning more mods to engine & driveline.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Hi guys
I have a VH SL/E 308 with a 355 stoker kit, warm cam, eddlebrock manifold, extractors and a few other bits and pieces. I rarely drive car as i live overseas but when im home like to go to club events and a weekend cruise. I currently have the original Quaddie Carb that has been re jetted (a while ago) but was looking to update to a holly 650.

Im sure this has been talked about before but just wanted some thoughts.

Quaddie will make as much hp as any other carb
and will generally show better torque (especially with a stroker)

and that is the reason I run one on the racecar....
(it means no-one can catch me out of turns ;) )

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Quaddie will make as much hp as any other carb
and will generally show better torque (especially with a stroker)

and that is the reason I run one on the racecar....
(it means no-one can catch me out of turns ;) )
Off topic, but you run a crane 304 with VN heads don't you? Thinking about making the swap but hesitant to do it if it's not gonna be street friendly at all (got 3000 stall and 3.55 gears). Only in a HJ though so lucky to get it out once a month.

Hard to come across people who have actually used that cam haha

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Off topic, but you run a crane 304 with VN heads don't you? Thinking about making the swap but hesitant to do it if it's not gonna be street friendly at all (got 3000 stall and 3.55 gears). Only in a HJ though so lucky to get it out once a month.

Hard to come across people who have actually used that cam haha

yeah.. Crane 304 but with EARLY heads (VL carb large valve heads)
that combo a bit grumpy (well lot grumpy until 3 and a bit, then it wakes up idles at 1200)