Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best method of N/A Air intake?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
it was from a man in a bright light, the night you passed out drunk outside your front gate !! LOL:beer chug:

U know, u might have something there hahah. Mmmmmmmmm trouble is I don't drink. SCARY AY. Whooooooooo .lol
Hmmmmm.That man in the bright light??? Could have been a copper standing in front of his car at night.
Sorry mate, I can't stop laughing at your last post.

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Honestly dont get how those mace cai set up's work, I cant hep but notice absolutley nowhere for air to come from behind the headlight.. unless i take it out.

Have you every looked at that area? It's quite a good place for cold air with air coming in from underneath the headlight and in between the headlight and rad.

IRON8

Let It Rip
Reaction score
Members Ride
'VTank SS , VG/VR Ute
Damn rip off in my opinion. I can't see day light behind my VT's headlight, so where is the "cold air" coming from.
Purely cosmetic I reckon.

yeah well i seem to have beem laughed at with my little mod, which is ok but is undoubtably effective but noone's laughing at a $350nz cai mod from mace which i cant see for the life of me how it works.. but it must do

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Have you every looked at that area? It's quite a good place for cold air with air coming in from underneath the headlight and in between the headlight and rad.
Yes I have, actually alot and I cannot see where you would get effective air flow. There is a vertical piece of the radiator support panel that separates the radiator and the headlight and there is no gap there.. The bottom rail extends right up to the support panel under the headlight therefore effectively sealing off the bottom of the headlight for effective air flow. There are only a couple of small holes in the bottom rail which would not adequately allow enough air to support this application.
"If", there was enough air flow to support an air intake behind the headlight, wouldn't this allow an excessive amount of water in?
From what I can see, it is very well sealed in that area to not allow water to get in.
Oh buy the way, thats on a VT.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
but no one's laughing at a $350nz cai mod from mace which i cant see for the life of me how it works.. but it must do
Not nessesarily....People are very gulible and will believe things are true if there is enough pressure put on them. It has been proven in studies that people want to believe and do believe, if they are told it will look good and or make a difference to what ever, even though it technically wont. Marketing is a very very powerful tool and can infuence people to an extent where they can become obsessed with a product.

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Damn rip off in my opinion. I can't see day light behind my VT's headlight, so where is the "cold air" coming from.
Purely cosmetic I reckon.

Just because you don't see a gaping hole straight through doesn't mean there is no cold air flowing to that area. The areas around the headlight receive air from behind the bumper, just because its dark there doesn't mean there's no cold air. What mace engineering do is place temp sensors in different places of the engine bay and are able to record the temperature of those locations. They are qualified mechanical and aerospace engineers who don't just drop things in random places.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
it's pretty simple, if your intake temp is close to ambient, then your cai is working, be it whatever brand or style doesn't matter.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
There are hi pressure zones all along the front bar as adz_vy said, just because u can see doesn't mean there isn't air there. U'd be surprise the amount of positive pressure when the car is in motion around that area. Plenty of r&d has gone into most cai.

Nut Kracker, please learn how to multi-quote. It's the button next to "reply with quote"

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Just because you don't see a gaping hole straight through doesn't mean there is no cold air flowing to that area. The areas around the headlight receive air from behind the bumper, just because its dark there doesn't mean there's no cold air. What mace engineering do is place temp sensors in different places of the engine bay and are able to record the temperature of those locations. They are qualified mechanical and aerospace engineers who don't just drop things in random places.

Just because they find a low temperature doesn't mean that there is airflow there. Do all the other manufacturers do that too and come up with the same readings, or is it it's the only place to put it??? Hmmmm. I've got low temp in my fridge but there is no airflow there. Airflow or the cfm is what they should be recording. I didn't say it was dark, I said there is no effective opening to allow for an adequate flow of cold air for this application. If it is so good, why doesn't the factory put it there? Because it would get in the way of the lights, right??? What about the battery on the other side. That gets in the way of the other lights.
It would be cheaper you would think for the factory to run the cai behind the lights I reckon. Why don't they do that?????

Please don't try and be dazzle me with aerospace engineers. I'm not as young and gulible as you think I am. Why would they be working in the automotive industry.
I worked in the aircraft industry at Tullamarine for over 26 years and they are about the same as chalk and cheese. We had very experienced "L.A.M.E.'S." there who knew jack about cars. "L.A.M.E." stands for...Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.

Anyway. If that cai is what you like, that's fine. You have your opinion and I have mine. I am only voicing mine and what I see as an "effective" cai.
That type of cai has it's applications because on some cars an OTR either wont fit, or the air intake design wont permit it. I just can't see it being as effective as they make it out to be, is all.

Last edited: