Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best method of programming new keys...

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I don’t think it’s a rolling code issue since spare keys that haven’t been used for years will still work just the same. Pretty well certain it’s to do with battery charge levels - the contact ring must charge the battery back up a little. Otherwise how does a battery last 24 years in the case of my Statesman for example?

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I don’t think it’s a rolling code issue since spare keys that haven’t been used for years will still work just the same. Pretty well certain it’s to do with battery charge levels - the contact ring must charge the battery back up a little. Otherwise how does a battery last 24 years in the case of my Statesman for example?

I thought I was pushing it with my keys being 18 years old. There seems to be varied ideas on whether they charge or not, might just keep carrying both keys and see how they go, both working fine today with good range. As I said earlier the key that would not open doors yesterday I tried in the ignition and started the engine just to see if there were any issues starting the car, it started fine now the key is working perfectly again.
Thanks again to every ones thoughts, seems to be a bit of a grey area.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
No charging is happening through the key reader it's not even a rechargeable battery in the remote

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
No charging is happening through the key reader it's not even a rechargeable battery in the remote

I tend to think you are right in the key some how got out of sync and putting it in the ignition and starting the car re-syncd it.