Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best mods for vt v6?

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I just bought a stock vt v6 for my first car and was just looking for ideas on what mods i should start with? any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks

An engine is basically just a big, fat, ugly air pump. It sucks it in, then pushes it out. Working on that principle, then the more air you can shove in it the better.

For the Forced Induction route they use a compressor of some sort (ie turbocharger, PD supercharger, centrifiugal supercharger) to push compressed air into the chambers. Naturally Aspirated is about using the suction of the engine itself to bring in more air, and the bigger the displacement the bigger bang.

Your first step is to get more air into the engine by way of a cold air intake and some high ratio rockers. The CAI is pretty basic, it's supposed to allow less restriction in the intake system (many people have different opinions of these, but its better to have and not need then blah blah blah). The high ratio rockers are little more tricky. They effectively increase the valve lift to draw more air into the chambers. Pretty much a noiseless camshaft upgrade. MACE also do the spacers, which are also pretty good.

2nd would be an exhaust system to get rid of the exhaust burnt gasses. A simple 2.5" catback would work well enough, but later down they track you might want to change the single cat to a dual and get some headers (But the gains v dollars is ****)

That'll all cost $2,000ish and get you around 130-140rwkw.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Manual conversion and LSD Diff gears will get you the most driving fun from a VT V6 IMO.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
thanks for your advice guys. that mace site is pretty much what ive been looking for! and i service it every 15,000kms ive fixed all the ticking noises and everything trying my best to get it in tip top shape!

Might I suggest servicing every 5000kms , the Mace modifications for the Ecotec are a good option if you are on a budget , but as has been mentioned just look after it .

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Either do nothing to it (most sensible) or stick the biggest blower you can physically fit and go nuts.

Either way it'll still be slower then a half done v8 lol

Swyped from my Note 2 phablet...

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
10 characters.

Last edited:

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
^^ You're the fool mate. I don't even own a v8. I have an Ecotec that does its job well and am happy with. I also own a diesel which I'm extremely happy with. So no, not everyone should buy a v8!

But people want to do mods to a v6 to make it faster (if it's another reason, please let me know), which in reality do stuff all. Make no difference in real terms.
So if you want fast, don't waste your money on an Ecotec.

Simple.

Swyped from my Note 2 phablet...

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah man my VS Emo is a slug, barely noticed the extra power..... Doesn't smoke stock or mildly modded ls3's at all.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
put a "For Sale" sign on it

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX

OK, what if one wanted the same performance as stock but improved fuel efficiency?

My understanding is that with CAI the more air in the chambers the more fuel you need for the correct mixture so your fuel consumption will increase.