Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best mods for vt v6?

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Either do nothing to it (most sensible) or stick the biggest blower you can physically fit and go nuts.

Either way it'll still be slower then a half done v8 lol

Swyped from my Note 2 phablet...

actually a smaller blower would be better, too big and the motor will take too long to spin it up or even struggle to spin it both ways ending in less power, need a smaller one suited one that will still pump more then enough but come on early and hammer to redline

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
OK, what if one wanted the same performance as stock but improved fuel efficiency?

My understanding is that with CAI the more air in the chambers the more fuel you need for the correct mixture so your fuel consumption will increase.

CAI, manifold insulator, cat back and chip will grab you a few rwkw, improve torque delivery across the rev range, improve response and save you enough in fuel to pay for itself in 12(ish) months (roughly $1000 on a daily depending on driving style). Add new plugs, leads O2's and clean/spit polish the TB, plenum and injectors (or replace) for the icing on the cake. Best of all you'll get intimate with your Emo.

The extra step would be a basic 'stage 2' and Corvette servo in the trans, to claw back some slush. If you're not planning on FI or stroking down the track, consider a high ratio diff, 3.45 for some pep, 3.7 for some go (expensive) or 4.11 for some crazy and devil-may-care fuel use attitude.

Ignore the unhelpfuls mate, I can assure you, regardless of dyno figures you can make an Emo hammer, just not without FI :)

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Either do nothing to it (most sensible) or stick the biggest blower you can physically fit and go nuts.

Either way it'll still be slower then a half done v8 lol

Swyped from my Note 2 phablet...

Pfffft V8, by a V10 ya weirdo.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
^^ You're the fool mate. I don't even own a v8. So if you want fast, don't waste your money on an Ecotec.

I understood the OPs post, did you? Try re-reading it a couple of times and let it sink in before responding in the manner you did. It serves zero purpose.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Omg like everyone should so totally buy a V8, anything less is just pathetic amirite?

Got it one!

Anything less than eight slugs just ain't worth having! :p

Typed by an LS1 owner. Please pass me a flame suit.

btw OP, you live near the Dandy ranges. you don't need more power to go fast in a straight line, you want mods that will make it more fun to hang onto the road with. In lard ass VTs like ours, we need all the help we can get. Personally, I can vouch for this as I live in the ranges myself. My neighbour has a XR6T and I have Stock LS1 but with a lot of suspension and brake work done. Through the roads upto Monbulk, Kallista and the like he struggles to keep pace with me through the corners and bends and we don't even go over the speed limit. Out on the strip, I wouldn't stand a chance against him.

fullboost

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT berlina
If a p plater just do bolt on stuff like headers, hi flow cat and the rest of the exhaust, cold air intake either mace or ss induction, engine wise roller rockers would be the best so you don't have to tear apart the engine
if non plater then start looking at your superchargers or turbo depending on what you want

XBT15L

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L Calais
p plates don't waste your money your not gonna notice any difference power wise unless you strap a charger on.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
First, P Platers can't drive anything with FI. Secondly, just because you're on your P's, doesn't mean your car is slow. Thirdly, Ecotecs might not be a powerhouse, but they're sure good to learn on.

OP, do whatever your heart desires to your car. Just please don't wrap yourself around a pole.

Torborg

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
If performance is your goal, any money spent on a VT ecotec will be wasted IMO. They're a heavy car and the ecotec needs a lot of $ to bring it to life.

Otherwise, you could buy a bodykit (but steer clear of aftermarket fiberglass rubbish), upgrade the stereo, put on a nice set of wheels, or change the suspension. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve.

FWIW, the first thing I'd do is change the series one rear lights and side indicators over to series 2 versions. They look 100 times better IMO.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I thought we ascertained the goal was economy/efficiency. In which case it's a worthwhile venture provided is a daily you plan to hang on to.

As for performance only nOObs make a blanket statement. Depends on car condition and what it owes you. I came out at least $5k ahead and quite a bit quicker than a worked LS.