Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Oil for 2001 SS LS1

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
10w30 was listed when these came out as Holden needed it to pass emission controls. But they changed to 10w40 on first service if they noted oil being lost. The stores didn't really have much 10w30 in those days anyway and viscosity modifiers were poo.

If your Engine seals are in good nick then run a 5w40/10w40/5w50 for cooler weather, and up to a 15/40 or 20w60 (smokes a bit, some drips). If you don't ever want to ever worry and can resist shiny looking labels, run a Dual fuel 15w40 oil with a S rating and a C rating. These are mostly labelled as diesel oils and often cheaper. They are also common in Synthetic base oils now so great if you have a Turbo on the commodore. HPR Diesel 5 or 15 or Nulon APex + Long Life (Synthetic/X-Pro High Torque(Cheaper). Even the Gulf Western Top Dog is decent when on special for 10 litres. Our cars came with an SJ oil rating requirement over 20 years ago. The new oil ratings of SN and SP is like AI technology compared to back then due to Engine wear /Enviro requirements. Don't overthink it. Your only driving it 2 to 3 times a year so cold starts is barely an issue for you.

Last edited:

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Castrol Edge 5-30 or 5-40 whenever its is on special blended with Lucas stabilizer. Bob the oil guy probably hates me.... I agree 10w-40 is probably a better fit for older LS1's but im a creature of habit...lol
Have you ever thought of using a thicker oil to save money on the stabiliser ? Owners know best what their engine needs, but just asking out of curiosity as you seem to like thickening the oil with the Lucas. The Lucas would be turning that into a 15w/20w 50 in the end.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Have you ever thought of using a thicker oil to save money on the stabiliser ? Owners know best what their engine needs, but just asking out of curiosity as you seem to like thickening the oil with the Lucas. The Lucas would be turning that into a 15w/20w 50 in the end.
Cold starts and cam/bearing protection is why I put it in...'when used as recommended, Low viscosity stabilizer will not change your oils viscosity grade, neither will it exceed API'S limits on phosphorous' ...(Lucasoil) ... I use the Low viscosity version. Havent had any issues yet ..no lifter tick or piston slap yet...fingers crossed...oil doesnt seem thicker it still runs down the dipstick pretty quick...Only problem I have is figuring out the oil level on the dipstick because its so clear and leaves a slight film when it runs...change oil every 5000k's ...Id rather spend money on oil than a seized engine... How many folk check their oil weekly? How many folk check their oil at all?.... It could be snake oil but im staying with it...If I had a low km car (under 60k) I probably wouldnt bother with it...

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
People like to imagine all sorts of weird and wonderful things about engine oil. But virtually nobody ever does side by side testing over 10 years to find out what works best in real life.
Letting your car sit still unused for months is likely to cause more damage than which oil you use.
I'd just roll the dice on a decent 10w40.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Lets face it the biggest problem with LS1's is the rear main seal / plate failing and leaking oil out...thats why its important to keep checking your oil levels. Barbell swap at same time should be considered if changing plate/seal.

Last edited:

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
People like to imagine all sorts of weird and wonderful things about engine oil. But virtually nobody ever does side by side testing over 10 years to find out what works best in real life.
Letting your car sit still unused for months is likely to cause more damage than which oil you use.
I'd just roll the dice on a decent 10w40.
Agreed. I have oil tests on here from 15 years ago, same as on BITOG. I stopped testing 10 years ago and my car is now at 430,000kms with original bottom end. Heads were changed when I broke springs at around 200,000 running YT 1.95 on stock springs and I changed rear end seal one in its lifetime. Everything else is still original. I have car since 55,000kms in 2004. I am in process of changing lifters which were also original as I am replacing LIM gasket leak. PCV system Holden used was very poor and I believe contributes the most wear.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Hi all,

Thinking about doing an oil change on my 2001 SS Ute, the car is only driven rarely (2 -3 times per year) and has low kilometres. The handbook says to use 10w30 but I have had a look online and every website says something different. Is this the correct oil? Also I'm gathering you would use semi synthetic too.

Any feedback or assistance is appreciated.
if your only driving that amount of time it would matter what oil you put in it, even olive oil would work

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Cold starts and cam/bearing protection is why I put it in...'when used as recommended, Low viscosity stabilizer will not change your oils viscosity grade, neither will it exceed API'S limits on phosphorous' ...(Lucasoil) ... I use the Low viscosity version. Havent had any issues yet ..no lifter tick or piston slap yet...fingers crossed...oil doesnt seem thicker it still runs down the dipstick pretty quick...Only problem I have is figuring out the oil level on the dipstick because its so clear and leaves a slight film when it runs...change oil every 5000k's ...Id rather spend money on oil than a seized engine... How many folk check their oil weekly? How many folk check their oil at all?.... It could be snake oil but im staying with it...If I had a low km car (under 60k) I probably wouldnt bother with it...
Fair is fair. But changing a modern oil every 5000km is just a waste of money and time really. These oils are designed to last 10 thousand to 15 thousand on a 5 litre sump size. Just remember oil is thicker at start up, and its the high speed 'flow' of the oil running through the engine that lubricates it. Many people like to think of it as Grease, when it is nothing like it. Additives wise, I found Liqui Moly Mos2 to have the most noticeable impact that you actually can feel and Auto-Rx a great cleaner especially if you want to extend seal life.

The additive you use is like over $30 a bottle. Seems to have decent claims. What oil do you use ?

Last edited:

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Hi all,

Thinking about doing an oil change on my 2001 SS Ute, the car is only driven rarely (2 -3 times per year) and has low kilometres. The handbook says to use 10w30 but I have had a look online and every website says something different. Is this the correct oil? Also I'm gathering you would use semi synthetic too.

Any feedback or assistance is appreciated.
castrol magnatec 10w40, used it for years in my ls1s never had a issues, currently have 4 ls1s 195k up to 390k and all on magnatec.

i once tried penrite but found i got a lot more lifter noise.