Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best oil for transmission service and oil for normal service

Jasonjohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6
Clunking sounds are hard to diagnose from a video

But, it "could" be:
Broken or loose engine or transmission mounts,
tail shaft couplings, centre bearing or uni joints, diff slap, suspension bushings, exhaust hangers, or even a clearance issue somewhere with the exhaust

Take someone for a drive with all the windows down and ask them where they think the sound is coming from, do this going forward, and then reverse, then have them stand outside the car and listen

Once you dial in where the noise is coming from you can jack up the car and put it on stands and remove the wheels to inspect the suspension, tail shaft, drive shafts and CV joints for play or damage, inspect everything and give everything a good shake and optic nerve

You can use a pry bar on the bushings to look for play

If this isn't possible because you don't have the equipment, take it to a "good" workshop and get them to diagnose the issue

Importantly, don't keep driving the car until you have diagnosed the issue as you can make things much worse
One of my mechanics said there’s backlash in the diff, a new diff was put in 2020 so 4 years ago. If there is backlash in the diff what could possibly be wrong inside it?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
One of my mechanics said there’s backlash in the diff, a new diff was put in 2020 so 4 years ago. If there is backlash in the diff what could possibly be wrong inside it?
Maybe nothing

You need to find where the clunking actually is coming from, front, rear, passenger side, drivers side, middle

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There's only one member on here who would tell you what it is. Chances are he will be wrong. A garage can operate the engine and drive train while on the hoist. This will save several hours from people using their guessometers and still not figuring it out.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Buy a manual
or as a starting point download a free copy of the VF workshop PDF manual via a link learning somewhere within this forum.

That PDF workshop manual isn’t complete but it does have a good section at the beginning on how to find and isolate noises, vibrations, ect… even has a definition of noises so in theory one can talk the same language that presumably the dealer mechanics use if you need to discuss with them…

Here’s the link

Jasonjohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6
Clunking sounds are hard to diagnose from a video

But, it "could" be:
Broken or loose engine or transmission mounts,
tail shaft couplings, centre bearing or uni joints, diff slap, suspension bushings, exhaust hangers, or even a clearance issue somewhere with the exhaust

Take someone for a drive with all the windows down and ask them where they think the sound is coming from, do this going forward, and then reverse, then have them stand outside the car and listen

Once you dial in where the noise is coming from you can jack up the car and put it on stands and remove the wheels to inspect the suspension, tail shaft, drive shafts and CV joints for play or damage, inspect everything and give everything a good shake and optic nerve

You can use a pry bar on the bushings to look for play

If this isn't possible because you don't have the equipment, take it to a "good" workshop and get them to diagnose the issue

Importantly, don't keep driving the car until you have diagnosed the issue as you can make things much worse
I’ll show you this video I just uploaded . So going from reverse to drive obviously a clunk and then from drive to reverse you’ll hear a clunk but also a gurgling type noise inbetween ( what I’m hearing while I’m driving, letting off the acceleration and on)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
or as a starting point download a free copy of the VF workshop PDF manual via a link learning somewhere within this forum.

That PDF workshop manual isn’t complete but it does have a good section at the beginning on how to find and isolate noises, vibrations, ect… even has a definition of noises so in theory one can talk the same language that presumably the dealer mechanics use if you need to discuss with them…

Here’s the link

[/URL]

I did mean buy a vehicle with a manual gearbox.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I did mean buy a vehicle with a manual gearbox.
Missed that :p:p:p

Guess he could always use the workshop manual and do a ”conversion”, being that we’re on a car forum :p

Last edited: