Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Oil for VF SV6 24K service?

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
Hey giys its almost time for my 24k service and id like to buy the oil myself what is the best oil to use that is also warranty friendly? I will be taking it to a mechanic not the dealer

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Speak to 10 different people, you’ll get 10 different answers

Personally, I find either the Mobil 1 or the Nulon to be quite good

Both are fully synthetic, 5W-30 and are Dexos 1 compliant

Being a V6, it’ll roughly take around 6.5 litres to fill

Finally, I believe Autobarn had the 5 litre bottles on special for around $30

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
And the mechanic you take it to will also probably give you their opinion as to which is best.

Then you’ll get some saying 5w-40 for these circumstances etc.

Feel free to search these forums for others’ thoughts.

In general, keeping within the warranty it is recommended you go with:
* 5w-30
* Genuine AC Delco oil filter

Dexos approved is GM’s marketing brand to say which engine oils are appropriate for their engines but that is not compulsory provided the engine oil is correct. Fully synthetic is best and you tend to get discounts on Castrol Edge, Penrite and Nulon often at Supercheap Auto or Autobarn. Two 5L bottles will be more than sufficient for your Sv6 or SS.

I personally exclusively use Mobil 1 but if they stopped making that tomorrow I’d be happy to go to Penrite straight away... you won’t go wrong as long as you change your engine oil within the required service intervals. Choice is all up to you mate.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Penrite Enviro Plus GF5 is best value for money...especially when it's on special for under $40

Any Dexos1 approved oil will do...

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Hi everyone! :)

This is an old thread but I'm hoping someone will be able to assist here.

About to do my first service on my VF V6 Calais since the warranty period expired and I'm finding it difficult to choose the right type of oil and coolant.

I've done some research and came up with the following products.

1. Mobil Super 3000 Formula D1 Fully Synthetic 5W-30
  2. Caltex Havoline ProDS Fully Synthetic ECO 5 5W-30
  3. AC Delco Dexos 1 Fully Synthetic
  4. Castrol GTX Magnatec Sto Start Fully Synthetic 5W-30 AT
I know all of these oils are top quality and from reputable brands so I can't really go wrong. Suttons were using Caltex for the warranty servicing period so I'm happy to continue with that but it's hard to find now with the return of Ampol and rebranded sites who now only stock Mobil products. Mobil seems to be the oil of choice here on the forums so again, no problem with that.

Has anyone used AC Delco oil? This works out to be the least expensive option (trade price). Is this oil produced by ExxonMobil or is it GM's own product?

I'm also looking for recommendations on coolant for the same vehicle as there are numerous choices available. I'd prefer to use one brand for both oil and coolant. AC Delco is GM recommended and both products are readily available at my local dealership.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hi everyone! :)

This is an old thread but I'm hoping someone will be able to assist here.

About to do my first service on my VF V6 Calais since the warranty period expired and I'm finding it difficult to choose the right type of oil and coolant.

I've done some research and came up with the following products.

1. Mobil Super 3000 Formula D1 Fully Synthetic 5W-30
  2. Caltex Havoline ProDS Fully Synthetic ECO 5 5W-30
  3. AC Delco Dexos 1 Fully Synthetic
  4. Castrol GTX Magnatec Sto Start Fully Synthetic 5W-30 AT
I know all of these oils are top quality and from reputable brands so I can't really go wrong. Suttons were using Caltex for the warranty servicing period so I'm happy to continue with that but it's hard to find now with the return of Ampol and rebranded sites who now only stock Mobil products. Mobil seems to be the oil of choice here on the forums so again, no problem with that.

Has anyone used AC Delco oil? This works out to be the least expensive option (trade price). Is this oil produced by ExxonMobil or is it GM's own product?

I'm also looking for recommendations on coolant for the same vehicle as there are numerous choices available. I'd prefer to use one brand for both oil and coolant. AC Delco is GM recommended and both products are readily available at my local dealership.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to be pain but I would not use any of these personally.

Penrite HPR5 or enviro plus GF-S 5w-30 is what I would recommend in terms of value for money and quality product

I personally used both for since 2010 and only recently switched to Mobil1 5w30 just because I was bored LOL

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry to be pain but I would not use any of these personally.

Penrite HPR5 or enviro plus GF-S 5w-30 is what I would recommend in terms of value for money and quality product

I personally used both for since 2010 and only recently switched to Mobil1 5w30 just because I was bored LOL
Thanks Ron (I want to quote Anchorman here, lol :p)

I'll take a look at Penrite as well. Thanks for the tip. Mobil 1 is favourable only because I can get a significant staff discount from Ampol.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
ems to be the oil of choice here on the forums so again, no problem with that.

AC Delco oil is blended in Aus by Fuchs.

As Ron stated, Penrite HPR5 is a great all round oil.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
AC Delco oil is blended in Aus by Fuchs.

As Ron stated, Penrite HPR5 is a great all round oil.
Thanks Imoengnr,

OK, I was getting mixed search results on AC DELCO oil with some saying Mobil, others saying blended in the Middle East? That's good to know that it's made here.

I'll do some research into Penrite and get some pricing. It's the first service I'll be doing on the car and don't want to make a mistake by selecting oil based on price or brand name. It's a brand new car and I want it to maintain it as best I can. What I do now can make all the difference to future maintenance. I have classic 70s Holden's too and they run Penrite so I guess it makes sense ;)

Reactions: Lex