Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Oil for VF SV6 24K service?

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
The Penrite HPR5 is $130 for 10L at Supercheap which is $65 for 5L. I'd need a 10L and 5L to do my car and my dad's car.

Does the Penrite HPR5 have the required Dexos 1 specification?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The Penrite HPR5 is $130 for 10L at Supercheap which is $65 for 5L. I'd need a 10L and 5L to do my car and my dad's car.

Does the Penrite HPR5 have the required Dexos 1 specification?
Wait till they have sales at Repco/Autobarn/SCA. You usually pick up 7L containers for $55-$60, or 10OL for $80-$90.
HPR5 isn't Dexos approved but wont harm your engine.
If you want Dexos approval, Penrite Enviro+ GF5 5W-30 is Dexos approved and is usually a couple of dollars dearer.

Wait for sales then stock up.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
If you want Dexos approval, Penrite Enviro+ GF5 5W-30 is Dexos approved and is usually a couple of dollars dearer.

Wait for sales then stock up.

From what I've noticed, GF-5 has been replaced by GF-S and likely to not be as readily available moving forward (believe it mentions it on the Penrite website) I was looking through the technical sheets and the oils from what I can tell are identical, and mentions it is equivalent. No doubt given GM killed off Holden, Penrite don't see the point of paying a license fee for a now dead brand. Also could have sworn that Castrol Magnetic used to have a Dexo's certification, but doesn't seem to anymore?

OP another vote for Penrite GF-S. Use it in my SV6 with 127k and the engine runs nicely with no adverse noise or issues. For a healthy running alloytech, the wisdom seems to be more along the lines of halving Holdens service intervals, many view 15K as too long. The LFX engines are much less prone to sludging compared to previous versions, but given that during sales you can easily pick up the larger packs of Penrith GF-S, and many other good oils for comparatively cheap, I change mine at 7.5k with a new AC Delco filter (Also have a catch can too, which does collect oil id rather not be going into the intake)

Maybe internet whispers, but so far no issues with my engine, and ill keep doing it for relatively cheap preventative maintenance

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Enviro + is also normally cheaper. If your doing two cars, definitely wait until its on special at one of the chains (hint boxing day specials) and go a 20L. Seems exxy upfront but per litre but its cheaper and you will have enough for almost another oil change.

GF5 has been updated to GF6A and B in 2020. GF6A is mostly minor additive changes and the absolute bare amount of zinc a previous GF spec engine can use. GF6B is totally incompatible. GFS is Penrite's marketing of GF6A. Thankfully it managed to keep the old part number EPLUSGF5W30. Certainly have not heard of GF being harder to get after the spec change. It's not a spec exclusive to GM and thus should still be around for a while.

I did notice though that Castrol's recommended is still GF5 mid this year. May of been old stock filtering through our warehouse...

Last edited:

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I use Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic exclusively on both my V6 and V8 without an issue. I get it when it’s 30% off at Repco or Autobarn.
Asking what engine oil is everyone’s preference is like asking what brand batteries do you prefer (so ie. I perceive that Mobil 1 is better than Penrite but that’s because I’ve seen the internals of an older engine exclusively using Mobil 1 and it looked as good as new, and it also keeps my engine quiet without piston slap in the V8).

Really, As long as it’s full synthetic and 5w-30 which is according to manufacturer specs, you will not go wrong.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
As long as it’s full synthetic and 5w-30 which is according to manufacturer specs, you will not go wrong.
I've used Castrol Magnetec 5w30 DX for the second time with my SV6 ute. First time at 44,000km's when I bought it a year a go and recently at 50,000 and seems fine. The SSVR ute's got Mobil 1 5w 30 as it was on special at Supercheap at the time.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Maybe internet whispers, but so far no issues with my engine, and ill keep doing it for relatively cheap preventative maintenance
I agree with you there NJD-1992
I'm a firm believer in preventative maintenance. The same applies to engine coolant. A lot of extended life coolants which claim to last up to 8 years. I don't think it's worth the risk investing your faith in the claims. Every 2 to 3 years at the most, particularly for a car that's not doing a lot of miles.

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
Really, As long as it’s full synthetic and 5w-30 which is according to manufacturer specs, you will not go wrong.
I like this Answer the best