Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best possible oil to use in alloytec v6 in summer temperatures ?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
An Alloytec idles at around 750rpm, although it will start and rise above this then fall to the 700 range. The idle air control valve may be hindered to be giving a lower than correct rpm. I would also be checking the integrity of the fuel pump.

Commydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 vz Commodore
An Alloytec idles at around 750rpm, although it will start and rise above this then fall to the 700 range. The idle air control valve may be hindered to be giving a lower than correct rpm. I would also be checking the integrity of the fuel pump.

Ah right,
Mine is at 1000rpm after it starts, then will sit on 600 rpm after,
Mainly stays at that,
That's wrong so right?
Shouldnt a mechanic know that,Ultratune seem to be clueless with the vz,they just wanna bring me in an do job after job,bs,

Where is the idle air control valve?lol

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Put 5W40 synthetic in it. Awesome oil that's good all year round. Synpower, HPR5, Nulon, Shell Ultra.. whatever floats your boat.
If you do a lot of long distance hit weather trips then maybe 10w40 synthetic.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon

Ah right,

Where is the idle air control valve?lol

Good question, lot's of people mention the IAC and if they could show one on an alloytech I would be amazed....

Jhovel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I've just cleaned out my 2005 alloytech with 230000km on the clock. It's been served per Holden logbook to the letter.
It was the dirtiest engine inside I've ever seen!
I'll post some photos in another thread about me changing the cam chains and guide & tensioners.
I'm going to use synthetic diesel oil from now on and change the oil filter every 5000km. That oil filter and the sump is WAY too small for the amount of oil shearing and subsequent oxydisation in that engine!
If you find an oil that stays clean (I mean looking like new) longer than 5000km, then at least change the oil filter every 5000kms.
I might report the condition of my oil for the next few oil intervals in my engine, just for reference. The engine is now perfectly clean inside.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Best oil is what Aus companies recomend at 7500km intervals thats it nothing fancy.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I've just cleaned out my 2005 alloytech with 230000km on the clock. It's been served per Holden logbook to the letter.
I'll post some photos in another thread about me changing the cam chains and guide & tensioners.
I'm going to use synthetic diesel oil from now on and change the oil filter every 5000km. That oil filter and the sump is WAY too small for the amount of oil shearing and subsequent oxydisation in that engine!
If you find an oil that stays clean (I mean looking like new) longer than 5000km, then at least change the oil filter every 5000kms.
I might report the condition of my oil for the next few oil intervals in my engine, just for reference. The engine is now perfectly clean inside.

What were the oil change intervals and how did you clean it?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That was a great post. Some out of the box ideas that worked really well.