Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bi Modal Air Intake

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
So this new butterfly valve is before the MAF?

Couldn't be, only thing before the MAF is the airbox. If it was in the airbox, it would just create a massive constriction. From what i can see there, the single, big resonance chamber has been changed to a smaller one. So at face value, it looks to be that this "Bi-Modal" intake is just a smoother pipe with 2 helmholtz's.

No electronic trickery, just the boxes to smooth some frequencies.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes that's how it appears, but the reports say it, like the exhaust, is adjustable via the EDI interface?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Isn't that the job of the throttle body? A valve that increases the amount of air sucked into the engine? (Or pushed in to be absolutely correct).

I think it's about managing noise for EPA compliance. Same as the bi-modal exhaust. Beyond that they would leave it open all the time and not bother with the flap at all. There is a hack for the E series that will leave the zorst open all the time or shut it at the flick of a switch. The stock system will shut at various times nomatter what you do so they get noise compliance.

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
My original thoughts were that there was a variable intake into the airbox, but maybe I'm wrong.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
My original thoughts were that there was a variable intake into the airbox, but maybe I'm wrong.

Same, assumed it would be the same theory as the exhaust.

Maybe its not electrical? Maybes theres some flap that opens only with the right amount of air speed.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
On a spring? Yes I've seen that before...
e6esy9y9.jpg

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Took me a sec to realise what you were talking about haha

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Engine: LS3 6.2-litre V8

Power: 340kW and 570Nm

Highlights: The SV option includes a power and torque upgrade to 340kW and 570Nm, achieved through the addition of a bi-modal air intake system (borrowed from the Camaro), high-flow headers and catalytic converters, and a high-flow zip tube. The intermediate exhaust section and the bi-modal mufflers are the same as the R8.

HSV Gen-F range, the walk-up | carsguide.com.au

The huge 430kW power and 740Nm torque outputs of the GTS engine required upgrades to both the manual and automatic transmissions (the former also getting a twin-plate clutch) and a unique rear-end with larger 9.9-inch differential, larger diameter and strong half shafts and a new stabiliser bar connection.

The rest of the range was not forgotten with a new bi-modal air intake system being largely responsible, along with new exhaust headers, for the increase in power of the normally aspirated V8 to 340kW.

Drive: HSV Gen-F: Engineering and development

If buyers want, they can opt for a special SV version of the ClubSport R8 that dips into the Camaro engine parts bin.

The SV steps performance up to 340kW and 570Nm by using a bi-modal air intake that includes a flap to allow the intake to gulp in even more air.

HSV - First official look: HSV powers in the changes | GoAuto

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Can just see the intake pipe running into the airbox.

The MAF pipe looks nice and large with a smooth radius. Just a shame it has those resonance chambers on it.

vf_003.JPG