Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BIG 3 Upgrade

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
As long as the car is sitting on the ground it shouldn't. But why bother? Just make some new holes.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Ahh, new holes, didn't think of that lol. Personally I'm not a huge fan of taking a drill to my car though, so I don't think I'd do that..

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I don't think holdenboy meant the strut tower literally as arcamody suggested. You would acheive nothing adding earth's to that strut bolt as its situated in rubber...

What I think he means is instead of cluttering the neg battery terminal, upgrade the battery > chassis earth, then run any new earths to the chassis instead of the battery terminal.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I didn't mean onto the strut bolt, I meant ground it onto a bare piece of metal on the strut tower. Mine uses one of those Stinger grounding pieces that come in their 0gauge kits, two screws into wherever you want to ground it.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of your engine bay extra wiring if that's cool. If possible can you include some photos about how to upgrade the alternator to battery? I am not really sure where on the alternator I'm supposed to connect the wire.
And excuse me if this is a stupid question, but strut tower? What is it?

Yes PICS! :)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yeah Holdenboy I would love to see some pics of your engine bay. I put a couple of photos up of mine showing the negative to strut tower ground. Going to get upgraded positive to chassis and alternator to positive cables soon.

Attachments

• SNC00018.jpg
    SNC00018.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 375
  • SNC00019.jpg
    SNC00019.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 506

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring up the Big 3 Upgrade post. But I'm about to do the upgrade, because I'm currently on a upgrading mission it seems. What kind of 0gauge cable did you use to upgrade? I'm wondering how a cheap Alberts 0gauge will compare to say Rockford 0gauge cable? Is it alright to use cheap 0gauge cable or will the Rockford 0gauge be worth the extra money?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I wouldn't say the name brands are "worth" the extra money, but they are slightly better. The name brands are usually more flexible, have better quality jacket/cover.

I compared Stinger vs some eBay 0ga... The eBay wire had a little less copper and a thicker jacket/cover but wasn't quite centered in the jacket properly.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I wouldn't say the name brands are "worth" the extra money, but they are slightly better. The name brands are usually more flexible, have better quality jacket/cover.

I compared Stinger vs some eBay 0ga... The eBay wire had a little less copper and a thicker jacket/cover but wasn't quite centered in the jacket properly.

I have to apologise again StoneX - I may have come across wrong in my post. I'm wondering if I should get either:
4ga cable (non-branded - alberts)
4ga cable (branded, most likely Rockford)
0ga cable (non-branded - alberts)
0ga cable (branded, most likely Rockford)

Is there a rule of thumb I should follow, I know 0ga Rockford would be pretty good stuff... but for my purposes... would it be worth it? is there like a <1000rms use 4ga ... over >1000rms use 0ga .... over >2000rms use 0ga rockford kind of thing?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Just got quoted $12 per meter for Aeropro 0ga
and $40 per meter for Rockford 0ga
I might aswell go with the 0ga ... now the question is ... which to get? they also said they can get Stinger 0ga in ... which I'm presuming is in between both of those.... is $28 per meter going to make the difference?