Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big Cam or Mild cam with roller rockers?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
A guy I was doing a tune for with a VS ute put the big rockers and insulators on his car and went from 131 rwkw (little zoorst + tune) to 137 (after rockers/insulators), wasn't worth it really, you don't pay nearly 100 bucks per kw unless you are crazy or a race team :), He would have been over 150 rwkw with a cam

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
That's not for reference at all! It's a totally different motor!

it was a comment in regards to cams for v6's commodores in general. What i was trying to suggest (if you were to stop and look at the big picture) is that the v6's do respond well to camming, and it is not a 'waste of time' as some may say.

Next time i will word my comments to compensate to the tunnel vision of some... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
now lets not all lose sleep at night over the interwebz.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Dont these cars only put out approx 100rwkw stock ?? (155kw Ecotec) Mace, Come, Crow all have camshafts to suit standard and high ratio rockers. There are good benefits to be had from using high ratio with performance cam theoretically......

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
high ratio and high lift cam = no no
high ratio and mild lift, decent duration cam= bingo

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
it was a comment in regards to cams for v6's commodores in general. What i was trying to suggest (if you were to stop and look at the big picture) is that the v6's do respond well to camming, and it is not a 'waste of time' as some may say.

Next time i will word my comments to compensate to the tunnel vision of some... :rolleyes:

dude. The ecotec responds quite differently to a lot of modifications compared with the buick 3800s. The top ends are very different, the Ecotec has far superior heads.

Calm down, perhaps next time I write something for a laugh I should end it with "I wrote this for a laugh, don't yell at me"

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Well i have had both.. and i know they are different yet not "totally" different.

"That's not for reference at all! It's a totally different motor!" hmm somehow i find it hard to detect the humor in that statement, so maybe you did need the last sentence you placed in quotations.

anyhow moving on.... to the original poster, i say go for it... not many go the cammed route. Give it a shot

300kwv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67
I'm running a [email protected] cam with 1.8:1 roller rockers and has .540" valve lift. But does require heavy duty valve springs. This is in a VR V6.