Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big Cam or Mild cam with roller rockers?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
just for reference: my mate had a stage two crow cam fitted to his VX with..

- 1.8 rockers
- extractors, full exhaust
and all the usual bolt ons
plus a real time dyno tune

it made 141 rwkw

his before mods dyno on the same dyno was 120rwkw.. healthy gain

Wow, 20rwkw gain for $4000? Isn't that about what it would cost to upgrade to a more capable combo?

F/I is the only fix for N/A V6 power IMO. Not being a sceptic but a N/A V6 is the most expensive engine to mod..

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Wow, 20rwkw gain for $4000? Isn't that about what it would cost to upgrade to a more capable combo?

F/I is the only fix for N/A V6 power IMO. Not being a sceptic but a N/A V6 is the most expensive engine to mod..

im pretty sure he didnt spend $4k dude...

but my calcs off the top of my head, was closer to about $2.5k including dyno tuning...

he was stoked with his gain. Also he was just happy to have a strong gain in power using a technique not usually persued by v6 modders (ie camming)

my owns n/a upgrades cost me approx $1k for parts (all cost prices) and i did all installations myself.. and she aint no slouch performance wise hehe.

but each to their own i say.. waiting on funding to do a L67 build up

oh.. just remembered too. that same mate (with the VX) had it retuned again the other week and it was able to squeeze out 150rwkw with the crow stage 2 combo

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
getting a bit off topic....

peanuts is on the money.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
best to talk to wade directly. they will be able to advice what rockers will work with their cams to give you max lift without any issues like coil bind and valve stem seals hiting the top of the valve guide etc.

having said that, unless you increase the CR with a cam swap, you are going to be dissapointed with the result

revhead1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v8
had a stage 3 crow cam in my vr ... came with chip from crow and ran it with standard rockers went very well ... with a set of high ratio rockers it would be a good set up well worth the cam swap and go big u can always upgrade around the cam no point in puttin more good parts on if the cam restricts power but dont go huge cause ull neva be drivin in ur power curve and ur bottom end probs cant handle big rpm