Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big Confession to make here (which leads to a problem)

Kartbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Ute
Hey all,
Washing the car (VZ Adventra) today I had the radio (6 stack Blaupunkt) on up loud for say 2 hours... Doors open... this killed the battery leading the head unit to power off... around 8 volts... Would this be considered normal? Anyway I got another battery out of another commodore to start it, vr battery into vz, the batteries look identical, but the terminals are in fact reversed... So I connected it up, realised it was wrong and swapped it around. Started the car and the head unit is now dead nothing else appears to be wrong. I'm willing to fix the head unit if its possible, anyone know what exactly would be fried? :thumbsup:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
now that wasnt very clever.... have you checked all the fuses and relays in the fuse boxes???? also the battery should be totally discharged at about 10-11 volts i thought

Kartbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Ute
Yeh tell me about it, all fuses are ok. Im thinking a few fried components on the head unit board if im lucky. I consider myself pretty handy with cars and electronics... I admit, pretty dopey moment! :bang:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
pull the head unit out theres a fuse next to the main connector on it

Kartbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Ute
Thanks Doc... Popped in a new fuse and it's all sweet.

Made up some coathanger pullers, found that the soft plastic coated ones with kinks in them worked. I'm still a little concerned about the battery running flat in just 2 hours though. I swear it should last longer than that.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Thanks Doc... Popped in a new fuse and it's all sweet.

Made up some coathanger pullers, found that the soft plastic coated ones with kinks in them worked. I'm still a little concerned about the battery running flat in just 2 hours though. I swear it should last longer than that.

Alot of decent batteries won't last 2 hours without charging if you have your music going fairly loud, let alone an old/well used one.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
bwahahahaha

I'm sorry, but that was a hilarious read. Glad all is well but.....hahahaha

Thanks man.